Johnson 200 carb problems

greens1098

Cadet
I have a 1999 Johnson 200. The guy before me put 225 carb on it for whatever reason. So I got a brad new set of oem carbs and slapped them on. Well I went out today and have no hole shot what so ever. I pulled the silencer and noticed my bottom left carb shooting out fuel. It has a lot more blow back then the other carbs. I put my hand over it and it didn't change a thing. Could this be reeds? Or a carb problem. Also what should my jet size be on a 200 carb just incase I have the wrong carbs? Thanks in advance.

daselbee

Commander
Re: Johnson 200 carb problems

You gotta understand that the black carb bodies AND the throttle plates must be installed as a unit.
You cannot just take 225 black carb bodies and slap them on a 200 throttle plate, or vice versa.

Make sure you have 200 throttle plates and 200 black carb bodies. Make absolutely sure.

Then, gas from a carb like you describe might mean a leaking seat...as in needle and seat. Make sure the needle and seat on that carb is sealing properly. Do that by removing the carb body, turn it right side up, and blow thru the fuel inlet using a piece of spare hose.
Turn the body over, and blow again. No air should flow.

The HS jets, idle air jet, etc numbers are available at shop.evinrude.com, look your engine up, but from experience, the HS jet will be a 67D, and the idle air bleed should be a #27. Very close to those.....

If you have not synced your throttle plates...do so now. The #5 and #6 butterflies are prone to be open due to the fact that they are adjustable. A butterfly open on #5 or #6 will cause spit back. DO NOT WORRY about reeds. That is the last place to look.
It is easiest to sync them with all the black carb bodies off. I know it is a pain, but it is easiest. The throttle butterfiles must be absolutely closed at idle, all six of them, and they must operate in exact unison as you open the throttle.

And, if you truly have both 225 carb bodies AND the 225 throttle plates, PM me as I would be interested in buying...as long as they are 1996 or above....