1986 yamaha 90 hp tilt and trim gage

duzboat

Cadet
Hi all, I hope someone with some knowledge can reply to this ? When I turn on the electrical power my trim and tilt gage turns on but the needle goes counter clock wise and hits the stop bar which is located bottom left . Moving the motor up or down shows nothing. My first thought was a crossed wire , but then perhaps the gage is not working or the sending unit is not working ?? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Thanks
Duz boat..

rowboater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1986 yamaha 90 hp tilt and trim gage

There is a plastic lever/arm fwd of the powerhead.This arm moves as the engine is tilted.If the arm breaks,which is common,the gauge will not work.The newer arms/lever is metal and addresses this problem.If you do a search you will see this is a common problem.Good luck and let us know if tis was the problem.I have a 1997 C115 and this was one of the first and one of very few problems I have had.

duzboat

Cadet
Re: 1986 yamaha 90 hp tilt and trim gage

There is a plastic lever/arm fwd of the powerhead.This arm moves as the engine is tilted.If the arm breaks,which is common,the gauge will not work.The newer arms/lever is metal and addresses this problem.If you do a search you will see this is a common problem.Good luck and let us know if tis was the problem.I have a 1997 C115 and this was one of the first and one of very few problems I have had.

Thank you . That was the first thing that I looked at ,and it looks fine, no cracks or anything.