shift cables

stevo 47

Recruit
i recently had the bellows replaced on my 99 rinker 280, the mech. recommended replacing the lower shift cable at the same time. i did at his advise, and now the nightmare begins. the shifter jams going in forward, and back in reverse ,make parking extremely difficult. he said the shifter was rusty,so he repaired it,didnt help, he said the cables need an adjustment, didnt help, now he says there is a part on the outdrive needs to be replaced. has anyone had any experience on shift cables that can help. im a new boater and a bit green. i have only paid for the bellows so far,and dont want to get hosed. thanks to anyone with an answer

Bondo

Staff member
Re: shift cables

i recently had the bellows replaced on my 99 rinker 280, the mech. recommended replacing the lower shift cable at the same time. i did at his advise, and now the nightmare begins. the shifter jams going in forward, and back in reverse ,make parking extremely difficult. he said the shifter was rusty,so he repaired it,didnt help, he said the cables need an adjustment, didnt help, now he says there is a part on the outdrive needs to be replaced. has anyone had any experience on shift cables that can help. im a new boater and a bit green. i have only paid for the bellows so far,and dont want to get hosed. thanks to anyone with an answer

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... What motor,..?? What drive,..??

cr2k

Captain

Did he lube the control box? Sometimes a white grease works wonders there. Kinda need the info Bond-o posted about. If he somehow got and old style core in there and didn't cut it to the exact length it wouldnt be right. Maybe the shift slide turned when he put the drive back on?

bgc

Ensign

There is not much to an Alpha One shift cable job. I'm not sure how this could be botched if done correctly.... I wonder if its not routed correctly around the engine?

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

1st , let me apologize for the lack of specific terms and possible dated information as my last and only experience with an I/O was on an older boat and was years ago but;

It is possible that he did not adjust the interrupter switch on the switch plate (?) correctly. This switch cuts out the engine temporarily
so as to unload the pressure on the shift dog and allow it to move between gears/or into gear. It's a simple switch (at least the old ones were) and is easy to inspect.

Go back to the rear of the engine where the cables attach to a strange looking leveraging devise. There should be a switch, with a black ground wire, that is positioned in such a way as to be activated only when the control is moved into neutral. If this switch does not engage/disengage when the control is moved, the engine is not being shut off (only for an instant). Make the necessary adjustment to make it happen.

Or perhaps the wire has been disconnected and simply needs to be reattached in which case there may be a bare male spade connector on the switch.

If either of these is the case, change mechanics as he either doesn't know his craft, or you look like a piggy bank.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sometimes if the idle stop screw is set to tight it can make the control box a little stiff, or one of the cut-out switches has failed?. You should be able to with light pressure push the throttle cable back with your thumb.