merc 4.3 balancer fell apart

boattoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After running my boat a few hours yesterday I started noticing a metal on metal rotating rubbing sounds. After looking into it at the lake I figured the water pump was going out and continued to run the rest of the day. Ran fine, didnt notice any excsessive vibration from what it normally already has. Inspecting it further this morning I noticed a very shiny spot on the front harmonic balancer. looks like the outer ring slid back into the timing cover. My question is are these motors (1989 4.3) internally balanced? Since the overpriced balancer is obsolete from merc do I just ask for any 1989 chevy 4.3 balancer at the auto parts store? I assume there is no difference between marine and car applications for this part and carb vs efi shouldnt matter correct?

Also If the cover needs to be repaired or replaced from rubbing can it be replaced and resealed without loosening pan? Ive never rebuilt the older chevy motors before So im not sure.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: merc 4.3 balancer fell apart

After running my boat a few hours yesterday I started noticing a metal on metal rotating rubbing sounds. After looking into it at the lake I figured the water pump was going out and continued to run the rest of the day. Ran fine, didnt notice any excsessive vibration from what it normally already has. Inspecting it further this morning I noticed a very shiny spot on the front crank pulley. looks like the outer ring slid back into the timing cover. My question is are these motors (1989 4.3) internally balanced? Since the overpriced balancer is obsolete do I just ask for any 1989 chevy 4.3 balancer at the auto parts store? I assume there is no difference between marine and car applications for this part and carb vs efi shouldnt matter correct?

Also If the cover needs to be repaired or replaced from rubbing can it be replaced and resealed without loosening pan? Ive never rebuilt the older chevy motors before So im not sure.

Ayuh,.... 4.3ls are balanced in a way, all their own,... 'n it changed over the years,...

You need a balancer for yer particular Vintage... 'n ya, car, truck, boat are all the same....

No, a Chevy timing cover goes Under the oil pan, 'tween it, 'n the block...

oldjeep

Admiral

Ayu
No, a Chevy timing cover goes Under the oil pan, 'tween it, 'n the block...

I think you are thinking about a buick or ford timing cover. Chevy 4.3L and V8 timing covers do not have any contact with the oil pan.

Bondo

Staff member

I think you are thinking about a buick or ford timing cover. Chevy 4.3L and V8 timing covers do not have any contact with the oil pan.

Pardon,..??..??..??

I beg to differ.....

The bottom of the timing cover, below the front main IS the sealing surface for the oil pan....

oldjeep

Admiral

Pardon,..??..??..??

I beg to differ.....

The bottom of the timing cover, below the front main IS the sealing surface for the oil pan....

Hmm, weird since I know that we replaced the timing cover on a 350 in the streetrod last year with an aluminum one and all we did was unbolt it clean up and install the new one.

Bondo

Staff member

Hmm, weird since I know that we replaced the timing cover on a 350 in the streetrod last year with an aluminum one and all we did was unbolt it clean up and install the new one.

Ayuh,.... Many aluminum timing covers are 2 piece,... to make changin' a cam easier...

They consist of the outer ring that seals against the block, 'n pan,...
With a flatish cover to go onto the inner piece...

boattoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Only part number I can find is dorman 594-047, Is this the one I need? Only thing is, it says its 6.25 diameter and mine is 6.75.

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont think its the correct one. If the diameter is not correct. It would throw your timing marks off if nothing else, due to optical view unless you were 90not degrees angle of view.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bondo's right you must lower the oil pan.If you have a composite timing cover replacing the front seal is not recommended.

boattoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After doing way too much much research on dampeners. I think Im gonna order the dorman 594-012. The diameter and width are identical to mine 6.750Dx2.375W as well as the weight. all 4.3 and SBC (minus the 400) are neutral balanced at the dampener from what I read so it should be ok. I will report back if I have any issues.