Continous trim issue

Pa mountain man

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

Posting for a friend...

He has an 89' Evinrude model E150STLCEM 150 HP. This happened during a downpour. When he idled down for a no wake zone, he heard the trim motor running. He killed the battery connection, did a quick check of the electricals, then disconnected the switch on the controls, but it still trys to go down.

I took a quick look at it, and other than one chewed up wire that was repaired, and some wet connections, it all seemed well. We tried disconnecting the harness from the controls, still goes down, reversed the relays, still goes down. This is pretty much beyond my knowledge now, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Continous trim issue

sounds like a electrical short. possible bad soleniod stuck I would start there. use a multimeter or test lamp to determine if the sileniod is back feedin power to the switch.

Pa mountain man

Seaman Apprentice

I hate to ask, but would anyone know where that soleniod would be located on that model? Like I said, not my engine. Thanks for a place to start.:)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

PTT relays are under the cowling somewhere. Should not be hard to find. Normally when water (from downpour) gets into toggle switches, the motor tilts up. However, I still think water in the switch is likely culprit.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

to me it sounds like the cut off switch on top by the motor is jammed