1953 AlumaCraft Restore - Question about my First Baby Steps

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all...

I wanted to go over my first steps to get some insight into best practices... I have been digging through the forums for days on end now to see what works, and what does not.

SO... a few questions here.

Taking out my transom wood. I think I am going to drill out the rivets, and replace them with stainless steel nuts and bolts. Are the rivets a standard size? Is it 3/8"???

The rivets holding the ID tags on the hull seem to be the only ones that look rusty... common problem? They look to be smaller than the hull rivets. When I remove the tags, repaint, and replace them, should I patch the holes or try to rivet in the same holes?

I have no paint on the interior or exterior of the boat, but plan on giving it a good sanding down to get a nice surface to bond to the primer and paint. No real dents or bumps that I feel need to be addressed...just some gouges in the gunwale.

Is there a recommended grit of sand paper I should use? I also hear that using the sand paper wet is best, true?
Obviously I am not worried about the finish, since I plan on painting it, inside and out.

Which leads to this question... there seems to be some gritty, as a squid, I once called "non skid" in the bottom of the boat, and rides up the sides just a few inches.... should I leave that alone or just wire brush it to clean it out a bit?

Thanks guys...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1953 AlumaCraft Restore - Question about my First Baby Steps

Your rivets are most likely 3/16" diameter. the ones in your tag are probaby 1/8" diameter.

You should consider replacing the rivets you take out with closed end blind rivets, these rivets are vapor and waterproof... they're also very strong and used in the marine and aircraft maunfacturing businesses. Every aluminum boat owner should have a rivet setting tool and a selection of closed end blind rivets.

400 grit sandpaper will give you a good finish on aluminum, but you can go a little coarse if you're going to paint.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the "gritty as a squid" stuff, squids are pretty slimey.

Post some pics of your boat so we can see what you have to work with and give better help.

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My punctuation wasn't written as it sounded in my head....

As a squid, when I was in the Navy, we had our topside decks covered in a gritty sandy like paint, called Non Skid...

This material, although less gritty, is on the bottom inside of my boat.

Should I just power wash it and maybe scrub brush it?

I dont think I want to try to sand it.

thx

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Hit it with the pressure washer and scrubrush and see how you like it, if you don't there are chemical strippers that will remove it without sanding.