I bought a Missouri boat and made it a Kansas boat. What do I do with the titles?

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class
I searched the internet but only end up getting tossed through a hundred webpages of rhetoric with no solid answers.

I bought my boat in Missouri, where the previous owners had to title both the boat and the trailer. I got both titles with their names on it in the sale.

In Kansas trailers under a certain weight require no STATE registration and no license plates, only the boat needs to be registered with the department of wildlife. All you need is a bill of sale. So I registered the boat and was done.

I am wondering now about these titles. If I ever sell the boat to a Kansas resident it's no big deal, but if I sell to a Missouri resident or any other state requiring titles, isn't there something I should do with these besides holding onto them? It's not like I can sign them over in a sale because my name isn't on them.

Any ideas?

skiray6825

Cadet
Re: I bought a Missouri boat and made it a Kansas boat. What do I do with the titles?

?? Dont know.. I live in NY , which is a title state. but bought a boat in NH which isnt a title state, previously owned by a Mass. resident - a title state.
The boat is now registered on NY but am still having trouble getting it titled in NY due to no title from NH and i just have a copy of the NH registration and NY wants the original registration. I think i'll just have to register it in my name in NH and use that to get the NY title.
I feel your pain brother

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: I bought a Missouri boat and made it a Kansas boat. What do I do with the titles?

I don't know what the laws there are for registering your boat but you could call the DMV and/or DNR and ask someone directly.

I would keep any old paperwork that came with the boat if there were ever any question of it's origin.

saxrulez

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pretty much just hang on to them. The process would be different depending on what state a new owner was taking the boat to.

It is a shame every state isn't as easy to deal with as Kansas. 5 year registration for like $15 or whatever it was, and you're done.

Where in Kansas? I'm on Milford lake a few times a week.

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool! I used to ride motocross out there at School Creek.

I mainly boat at Clinton Lake in Lawrence, or Hillsdale outside of Gardner. I live in Olathe.

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, since I have moved a boat from MO to KS and a boat from KS to MO I can actually answer this pretty clearly.

You will need the title for the trailer to get a tag in KS (as long as trailer and boat weigh over 2000 lbs) The title for the boat needs to be kept as you will need it if you ever sell to someone that is out of state, or if you decide to move it out of state. Is it an I/O pr an outboard? If you have OB keep that title too for the same reasons.

OK I think that covers it.

And YES Kansas is an AWESOME state to OWN a boat in, just wish there were nice big lakes here like in Missouri, and say Minnesota.
:D

southkogs

Staff member

Kansas sounds like it works something like Tennessee. Here, we can have the state issue a title for an additional fee if we need to. I'd check with whomever you register the boat with (here it's the county clerk/TWRA) and find out about getting a title if you need to sell out of state.

Maclin

Admiral

Kansas is OK until you get the yearly personal property tax bill from the county for the privilege of owning a luxuy item like that.

southkogs

Staff member

Kansas is OK until you get the yearly personal property tax bill from the county for the privilege of owning a luxuy item like that.
Blah :eek:

I keep finding new reasons to really like "home."

saxrulez

Petty Officer 1st Class

And YES Kansas is an AWESOME state to OWN a boat in, just wish there were nice big lakes here like in Missouri, and say Minnesota.
:D

Milford lake is pretty darn nice. I have a great time on it, and is more than a decent size. I guess it isn't lake of the ozarks in MO, but it keeps me happy!

I've been meaning to check out Tuttle creek, but haven't found a reason to go there instead of Milford(like 5 minutes from my house to the ramp).

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys.

Again I don't have to title my trailer because it is under 2000 lbs with load. I wouldn't really want to anyway, no real desire to voluntarily pay property tax on something that doesn't require it.

I'm thinking I'll just hold onto the titles and only sell to a KS resident I guess.