72 tufp-21 225 hp

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seemes like I cant find any parts for this engine even the starter is not available !!!
Would I be better off putting a newer chevy motor in it & would it hook up to my outdrive.
Thanks, Rich

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 72 tufp-21 225 hp

It's a 307 Chevy V8.

southkogs

Staff member

You should be able to have your starter rebuilt at a parts shop near you. I've got a '72 as well (different engine) and you can find parts ... it just takes a little extra searchin'.

Besides the starter, what are you lookin' for?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

probably the most common starter sold today for marine engines. Arco 30119 or Sierra (Napa) 18-5900, in stock here at iboats I'm sure.

many also use a hi-torque mini starter that is sealed for marine - ebay usually has a selection

almost every part on that engine is very common and available at a wide range of places

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should be able to have your starter rebuilt at a parts shop near you. I've got a '72 as well (different engine) and you can find parts ... it just takes a little extra searchin'.

Besides the starter, what are you lookin' for?
know it a 307 chevy but the MARINE part of puts them obsolete.
Engine harness, needed

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Except the big blue plug, every part of the engine harness is actually still available from OEM except the wire, and I'm sure you can get a better deal on wire and terminals locally. No one generally replaces a whole engine harness on an engine that simple, you just need a terminal kit, some heat shrink tubing, tape and crimpers.
If you need the blue plug, let me know or check ebay - lots around new or used.

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Except the big blue plug, every part of the engine harness is actually still available from OEM except the wire, and I'm sure you can get a better deal on wire and terminals locally. No one generally replaces a whole engine harness on an engine that simple, you just need a terminal kit, some heat shrink tubing, tape and crimpers.
If you need the blue plug, let me know or check ebay - lots around new or used.

My Whole engine harness is breaking down , just touching it crumbles the wire insulation, I tried to find the big blue ( I thought it was black) , finally found a 9 pin trailer plug I could use .
I will check with NAPA when I get it to run, if I need additional parts.
Another question is do the ear muffs go on the 2 little holes on or about the middle of the OD, cant seem to find the model number of the out drive ,

Thanks, Rich

Bondo

Staff member

know it a 307 chevy but the MARINE part of puts them obsolete.
Engine harness, needed

Ayuh,.... It's a SBC,.... There's parts Everywhere for 'em....

Exactly What parts can't you find,..??

Most of it's parts, with the exception of some internal parts, are the Same parts as the 350 Chevy, the most common boat motor in the world...

The wiring harness can be built from scratch, quite easily...

southkogs

Staff member

No model number on an OMC Electric Shift. You can't use muffs on a '72 either. If your boat was equipped you should have a hose adapter on one of the trunion housings to hook a garden hose. You can see pictures in THIS THREAD.

Or you can hook up a flushing kit. Howard will be able to tell you about that more than I can...
013.jpg

The water intake is a screen just behind the prop, which is why you can't use muffs.

Last edited:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

trailer connector to replace the big plug fine, if you even need it disconnectable.... otherwise just connect new wire to the boat harness and heatshrink and forget the connectors.
Wiring old stuff is actually kind of fun... there's a new heatshrink that actually morphs into a sort of sealant at the ends as it does it's thing.

Rich Novak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

trailer connector to replace the big plug fine, if you even need it disconnectable.... otherwise just connect new wire to the boat harness and heatshrink and forget the connectors.
Wiring old stuff is actually kind of fun... there's a new heatshrink that actually morphs into a sort of sealant at the ends as it does it's thing.

Thanks for the info , I have started to make the harness, no luck on the hose plug, is the flush kit just a hose connector
spliced into the water hose??

Thanks, Rich