Another couple bilge pump questions

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone,

I read all the posts on the Hurricane forum about bilge pumps and I'm still a little unclear about a couple of things.

1) Is the bilge pump on my sd217 automatic or manual on/off only?

2) If it's automatic. Must the battery switch be left in the "on position" to work or is the pump wired past the switch?

Situation: My boat stays at a marina. If I don't take it out for a couple of weeks and there has been very heavy rain the bilge will run for 4 to 5 minutes BUT I must manually turn the bilge pump on once I've turned the battery switch to the on position.

Access to the bilge: My sd217 is an O/B and from what I've read there is no easy access to the bilge pump. Aft there is a 6-8 inch deck plate. Is this and the battery compartment the only access to the bilge? Yikes...

During the off season I thinking of adding a larger deck plate hatch to better access the bilge area. Good idea/bad idea?

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Another couple bilge pump questions

My understanding of the bilge pump on this boat is that it is an automatic pump with a float switch. However, it is also wired to a manual override switch on the console, so that you can turn the bilge pump on manually (I assume in the event that the float switch failed). I flip mine on occasionally just to be sure I can hear the pump run to be sure it works.

I believe that the bilge pump is wired directly to the battery, so there would be no need to keep the master switch on or the battery switch, but I don't know this for certain. The only way to know for sure would be to run some water into the bilge with all switches off to see if it kicks on once the level is over the switch.

There have been several posts concerning the difficult access to the bilge. I have found that this is not the only boat with this problem. I know of no other access other than the 2 round ports and the battery hatch. I have also thought about adding an access hatch, but would not do it unless there was an absolute need to get in there to fix something.

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Another couple bilge pump questions

Thanks Ernest T,

Paul Bolden