1988 90 4v good/ bad

puddle jumper

Captain
Thinking of buying one cheep. Was told the compression is good and the only reason he re powered was to get a bigger motor. Looking at the Johnson forum and did not find anyone having problems with them.Looks like lots of parts still available. Any input would be welcome.

arthurj12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 90 4v good/ bad

iv got a 1991 90hp love it easy to work on lots of parts i would check compression and spark if that's good and its a good deal go for it ! if u do get it i would change thermos and impeller for sure and is the vro still working? or is it premix ??

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Beware when the seller says "Was told the compression is good and the only reason he re powered was to - - - " Verify everything the seller says yourself. We have tons of posts where the seller claims this or that - and then the troubles beg

puddle jumper

Captain

I didn't think of asking about the oiling system but getting a compression test/ checking spark cant do. The engine is on a pallet in his garage but I can get the phone number for the shop that did the work.

I under stand the" buyer beware" and "as is" clauses when buying used.

I am not familiar with this engine and who better to as but people who own them.