Igintion Switch

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok my key stopped to work so i had to get a new switch but now the problem is i'm not getting any power from the switch. Can anyone help me with this it's a omc switch i have a johnson 200txl77c the old switch had letters but hard to see them so i looked in my manual told me C: purple/white S: yellow/red M: the raised one black/yellow a:purple m:black and b"red/purple can anyone help me out with this?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Igintion Switch

C: purple/white S: yellow/red, M: raised one black/yellow, A: purple, M: black, B: red/purple. Can anyone help me out with this?

It appears that you have the information you need. The back of the new OMC switch would have those code letters on it. What exactly is your problem that you need help with?

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not getting any power from the New switch It's not doing anything. Is there a way to test the switch with a meter. Also if I first hooked it up wrong will anything happen ?

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also I did want to ask anyway to also test the wires coming from the motor. Maybe something happened I tried with a test light not one wire showed power unless I need a ohm tester for those wires? The wires at the switch btw

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone have any ideas on this been driving me crazy

F_R

Supreme Mariner

To answer one question, yes you can do serious damage if you hook it up wrong, or accidently touch/connect terminals together.

OK having scared you a bit, it is still unclear what you mean by not getting any power from the switch. Exactly where are you checking for power? Or are you merely saying nothing happens when you turn the key?

You mention a test light. I assume you are speaking of a 12V test light, right? And it does light up if you connect it across the battery terminals, right? Note: A continuity test light light is NOT the same thing, and will not work for what we are about to do. If in doubt, connect the tester leads together and see if it lights up. If it does, it is a continuity tester.

1. If that is correct, touch the test light leads to the black M terminal and the red-purple B terminals. It should light up. If it does not, check the fuse at the motor. If the fuse is ok, then there is a wire fault between the motor and switch. Check the big plug. WARNING!!! Do Not connect to the black/yellow wire, even for a micro-instant.

2. If you get a light-up at those terminals, do the same between the black M and yellow/red S terminal. Turn key to start position and it should light up. If it doesn't, the switch is no good (extremely rare). You may need three hands to do this one.

3. Those two tests are all that is needed to test the starting circuit. If both pass, and the starter won't crank, the problem is elsewhere, not the key switch. I guess I don't need to point out that if you had done these in the first place, you may not have needed that new switch. Oh well.....

4. Read the warning again.

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok that is what I mean when I turn the key nothing happens at all. So do you guys think it can be the fuse on the motor? What I mean for connecting the wire's I think I hooked then up wrong at first so with that said you think I did serious damage? Or should I just try your test and see what happens ? All was working fine the reason for a new one I couldn't turn the key anymore with the old one I think the tumblergot messed up.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, it absolutely can be the fuse. There certainly is no harm in at least looking. If it looks good, then do the tests I outlined. Do I think you did damage? I have no idea. Get it cranking first, then see if it starts and runs. If it does, all is well.

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

F_R not to be a pain in the butt I guess what I'm getting at with the battery switch off I hooked up the wire's wrong turned battery on tried to turn the key nothing. I guess what I'm really getting at what could I have done if the fuse is good so I know what else to look for. For the tester the one I have is when you clip on to the negative of the battery than touch positive it lights up is that the right one ? Also I have the switch in front of me anyway to test that before I go to the boat or just the test you said ?

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check fuses, kill switch lanyard, shift switch, all can cause no spark at ignition it might be as simple as that

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok looks like I found the problem it's the fuse on the motor but the problem is I don't see a size It's very small can anyone help me with this ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

F_R not to be a pain in the butt I guess what I'm getting at with the battery switch off I hooked up the wire's wrong turned battery on tried to turn the key nothing. I guess what I'm really getting at what could I have done if the fuse is good so I know what else to look for. For the tester the one I have is when you clip on to the negative of the battery than touch positive it lights up is that the right one ? Also I have the switch in front of me anyway to test that before I go to the boat or just the test you said ?

Yes, you have a 12v test light, that is fine for the tests I suggested.

I didn't realize the switch is not installed though. I really seriously doubt there is anything wrong with it, but all things are possible, I suppose. You would need an ohm meter or continutiy tester to check it out of the circuit. Let's not get into that confusion.

My tests assumed the switch was connected, and are for testing the switch, which was what you are suspecting. Like I said, if the switch checks out ok, the problem is elsewhere. One problem at a time, please.

Um...you do know it has to be in neutral to crank, right?

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, you have a 12v test light, that is fine for the tests I suggested.

I didn't realize the switch is not installed though. I really seriously doubt there is anything wrong with it, but all things are possible, I suppose. You would need an ohm meter or continutiy tester to check it out of the circuit. Let's not get into that confusion.

My tests assumed the switch was connected, and are for testing the switch, which was what you are suspecting. Like I said, if the switch checks out ok, the problem is elsewhere. One problem at a time, please.

Um...you do know it has to be in neutral to crank, right?
yes i did get that problem solved thanks but now on to the next can you tell me where and how to test the shift switch plz reason being is my thread in power loss. Motor gets full power she gets of plain than drops from 5k to 4 than bounce between 3 and 4 finally just staying at 3k with wot, i was told it could be the shift switch that is the reason i'm asking where and how to test this

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes i did get that problem solved thanks but now on to the next can you tell me where and how to test the shift switch plz reason being is my thread in power loss. Motor gets full power she gets of plain than drops from 5k to 4 than bounce between 3 and 4 finally just staying at 3k with wot, i was told it could be the shift switch that is the reason i'm asking where and how to test this

how did you fix the switch problem ? you went from , a no cranking situation to running the boat at wot . are you refering the neutral safety sw. to the shift sw. ? if so, it has nothing to do with the performance of the engine . or do you mean the throttle cable ?

pics are worth a thousand words .

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok problem was fixed with the fuze now for the other I was told it could be my shift switch causing cylinders to drop but not sure where it is to disconnect to run the boat and see if that will fix it. It's not a fuel issue I just did the stator and the problem is still there I've also tested the trigger base and power packs with a ohm meter

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The switch is fixed I'm asking where Is the shift switch so I can disconnect that to see if it will fix my other problem.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The switch is fixed I'm asking where Is the shift switch so I can disconnect that to see if it will fix my other problem.

The 1977 200hp model does not have a shift cutout switch.

Describe the present problem again.

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok right now what's going on is she has full power comes off plain than 20 secs after that she drops to 4k than 3k and stays there at wot. I replaced the stator no good same problem also tested the diodes in the power packs they where fine also tested the trigger fine also only test I did was a ohm.Joe forgot to ask also could it be the switch in my control box under the shift I believe that is where it is I was told that could cause this problem also.