1997 Mercury 3.0lx seized?

cipherswitch

Recruit
I recently picked up a 1997 Citation by Sea-Pro (196 Royale CC). Its a 19 footer, on an all aluminum trailer w/torsion bars. I picked it up for a whooping $320.00. The bad, well the engine wouldnt even crank, after a good rain and noticing the 12 inches of water under the engine I had to redo all the bilge pump wiring and hoses w/ a new float switch .I determined the starter was bad, due to no crank and I figured that much water had been there before given that the old starter was damn near rusted solid. So I matched up part numbers and ordered a new one. I mounted it up and no dice, the starter clearly tries to crank the engine but it sounds like the engine is seized. I found alot of water in the oil (milky) and am now trying to determine just how bad the situation is, any advice?

motor.jpg5If5Q05F13L93N93H1c7t68c0a3edfe621f94.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1997 Mercury 3.0lx seized?

I recently picked up a 1997 Citation by Sea-Pro (196 Royale CC). Its a 19 footer, on an all aluminum trailer w/torsion bars. I picked it up for a whooping $320.00. The bad, well the engine wouldnt even crank, after a good rain and noticing the 12 inches of water under the engine I had to redo all the bilge pump wiring and hoses w/ a new float switch .I determined the starter was bad, due to no crank and I figured that much water had been there before given that the old starter was damn near rusted solid. So I matched up part numbers and ordered a new one. I mounted it up and no dice, the starter clearly tries to crank the engine but it sounds like the engine is seized. I found alot of water in the oil (milky) and am now trying to determine just how bad the situation is, any advice?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Trailered boats should ALWAYS have the hull's drain plug removed....

Bilge pumps are for when the boat is Floatin'....

I also think yer gonna find yer all aluminum trailer is in fact, galvanized steel box tubin',....

Pull the drive off, 'n see if it's the motor, or the drive that's seized...