MerCruiser 888 Serial #

c384id70

Recruit
:(I have a 1974 Reniell with a replaced 302 Ford V8 and who ever changed the motors didn't transfer the motor tag to tell me what I need to know when buying parts.

The outdrive serial number is 3784434 as close as I can read it. Is this the same number as the one that should be on the motor? Is there any other places to look for the right number or a way from what I have to properly identify what I have?

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: MerCruiser 888 Serial #

I'm not sure what you mean. The engine serial number is stamped on the block. It's a Ford 302, which was the stock engine mated to an 888 drive (1.50 ratio). Most all of the parts for the drive are consistent with the Mercruiser Type I "pre-alpha" drives and Alpha I drives. The engine doesn't have any Mercruiser specific stuff aside from marinized USCG stuff (alternator, fuel pump, carb, distributor, starter).

Bondo

Staff member
Re: MerCruiser 888 Serial #

:(I have a 1974 Reniell with a replaced 302 Ford V8 and who ever changed the motors didn't transfer the motor tag to tell me what I need to know when buying parts.

The outdrive serial number is 3784434 as close as I can read it. Is this the same number as the one that should be on the motor? Is there any other places to look for the right number or a way from what I have to properly identify what I have?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... What parts in particular,..??

Post some pictures, 'n We'll help ya figure it out...