1980 25hp mercury not pumping water

painterfair

Recruit
I started by checking water pump.Everything seems good,i blow into where water suppose to come out and hear air leaking by base of motor.The sleeve that copper pipe slide into seems good and tight.I have no idea where to go next.Is their a thermostat on this motor? I don't see water even trying to be forced up.I'm using a tupperware tub to run motor.Could i possibly not have it in enough water to get it to prime?

GEORGERICH

Recruit
Re: 1980 25hp mercury not pumping water

Where is the water pump located that you checked? The water is pumped from a rubber impeller that is in the lower unit. Veru easy to replace as long as your careful.

B-Dozer

Seaman

If using a tub to run you need to be a minimum of 6 inches above intake . Next how long have you run the motor while its not pumping ?If more than a minute or so you will more than likely need to replace impeller amd water pump housing

painterfair

Recruit

Water pump is in lower unit.I took pump apart gaskets,impeller seem ok.I didn't want to run to long,cause I don't want it to overheat.I now have motor off top ,to check seal at top,because when i plug copper pipe (where goes into pump) and blow into the peehole I have air leak.I notice a lot of exhaust coming out peehole.Is that normal?Where can I get new exhast gaskets?for cheap!lol

painterfair

Recruit

I just found a block in the exhaust,located at the top of shaft,under motor.Would that affect the water pump?