ignition question

RiggerMark

Seaman Apprentice
good day,
1983 stingray 3.0 alpha

had an issue with my ignition switch, installed another, still have the issue...:facepalm:
motor seems to want to start as you let off the starter part of the switch
kinda like when the switch is in far right mode, something is being grounded
let off the spring part and fires right up

hoping someones experienced this before and can point me in the right direction

thanks..................Mark

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: ignition question

There is a wire that comes up to the coil + from the starter solenoid that bypasses the resister wire when the starter is cranking (probably purple/yellow, provides full battery voltage to the coil). Check to make sure that it is making good contact (on both ends).

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1. Try running a jumper from starter to coil to see if that fixes it, then back trace!

RiggerMark

Seaman Apprentice

thanks gang, just stopped raining, headed out to mess with the boat, imagine that
well report back, thanks again for the responses..............Mark

RiggerMark

Seaman Apprentice

good day,
i miss my garage, so i ran a new wire, ran it right with the yellow/ purple, + side coil to starter, all clean, tight
no good, pretty sure that the engine will not start as long as key is in far right, start position, starts great when you let up
so, question 1, does this indicate a bad solenoid
and question 2, can i run a temp jumper from +battery to +coil, just to see if this is the issue, and if so, should i disconnect any wires at the coil

thanks much for any and all help..................Mark

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You hook the jumper wire from the battery positive terminal to the + terminal of the coil and see if it starts.

That purple/yellow wire is supposed to be hooked to the starter solenoid terminal D in the picture below,

attachment.php

NOTE: If your starter doesn't have that terminal, then you have an automotive starter, not a marine starter, and a sure explosion hazard in the making.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you can run a jumper from a good ignition source to the coil +. this is in fact hot-wiring your boat.

the reason it wont start until the key is in the run position is that you are not getting power to the coil during the crank cycle. you can also jumper this with a wire from the M terminal on the starter up to the coil +

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

If you have a voltmeter, check to see if you have voltage on the coil+ when the starter is turning. If not I suspect the internal connection to "terminal D" on the solenoid may be open.