71 Evinrude Pulling To The Right

bonelessi

Seaman Apprentice
So the boat started pulling to the right pretty bad. I adjusted the rudder a little and evened it out some but it feels like it's pulling to the right again, the rudder hasn't moved. I feel there's something else going on. Any advice?

2.jpg

bonelessi

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 71 Evinrude Pulling To The Right

It looks like the skeg (?) is bent a little, would this cause it? It's pretty drastic. If you let go of the wheel it turns pretty hard. Here's a pic.

2012-08-09_20-59-07_695.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The skeg doesn't look that bad. Try playing with your trim tab a little more.

nwcove

Admiral

the skeg has a pretty good twist to the left!! was it like that before the boat started pulling to the right? or did you hit something/ drag at the ramp?

bonelessi

Seaman Apprentice

turns out I'm a pretty big guy so when I sit on the starboard side it tends to pull to the right. Plus the battery and the gas cans all sit starboard too. I don't know if the skeg was like that before I replaced the prop or not. The old prop was terribly beat up so I assume the previous owner did it. I can't imagine anything at the docks where we launch doing that to the skeg, although there was a ding in the brand new prop after two hours of use and I never heard it hit anything anything that would make me think I hit something with it so who knows!

Thanks!!