1970-ish Starcraft Chieftain restoration. First time working on or around a boat.

icearrowx

Recruit
As the title says, I've gotten my hands on a 1969-70 Chieftain. I'll post pictures later, but this boat is painful to look at. Most of the wood is rotten, there is a hole in the front, and there are wasp nests in the cabin (cuddy?). The only thing slightly good is that the engine was brand new (ran but never put in the water) when they parked it in a pasture 10 years ago. I have experience working on cars and such, but I haven't worked with wood since high school. I just learned what a transom was like a week ago. I'm looking for advice and pro-tips on how to get this boat in the water. Thanks in advance guys.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1970-ish Starcraft Chieftain restoration. First time working on or around a boat.

Welcome to the iboats dry dock! The nice thing about these big tin cans is they are fairly easy to work on. Once you get pics posted we can give more advice on how to make the needed repairs.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970-ish Starcraft Chieftain restoration. First time working on or around a boat.

Yeah definitely get some pics posted and update your profile with your location. There LOTS of Starcraft and aluminum nuts on here. Make sure you make your way down to the Starcraft section of this forum http://forums.iboats.com/Starcraft_Boats?boatid=243 there's a thread there that lists all the completed or ongoing restorations organized by model.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Welcome & for sure cruise the SC resto threads. Good stuff in all of them.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice project. One of the nice things about these boats is that the woodwork is fairly easy and doesn't really require any special tools. As was said above, be sure to check out the Starcraft section for plenty of restoration examples. Have fun!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Wow, that's jumping into the deep end of the resto pool. Good looking possibilities....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the drydock, Ice. You got a big project, but very manageable. And you got the optional torpedo tubes - cool. Have fun wuth her!

icearrowx

Recruit

Thanks for all the replies guys! I took a look at the starcraft forum and yall were right: almost got lost in all that information! First step is gutting and stripping. One of my buddies recommended Sharkhide.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I would like to find one of these for a project. Post lots of pics as you go along!

North Beach

Commander

IA That boat has lots of potential. Go to the Starcraft Renovations thread in the Starcraft section and check out the big boat projects. Chieftain, Starchief, Holiday, Islander and Sunchief. These boats all share the same platform as yours and will offer many ideas on different approaches to take during your restore.

Welcome to iBoats!!

Decker83

Commander

That is a great find. You will have an awesome boat when your done.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Just stopping by to say great rig and welcome!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Be sure to pop into the Starcraft forum and say hi. Chief's are awesome can't wait to see pics. Lots of people here to help out.

Don