I acquired a 1952 Johnson TN-28

Kris.J

Seaman
For free!

First I'd like to thank this community - it has been INVALUABLE in my research on this motor. Thank you all!

So about a week ago a coworker dropped off this old outboard at my house. He said it had been sitting upright in the basement of his lake cottage for at least a decade, maybe two. I set it up in a very large barrel of water, put fresh gas in it, and had it running in about 4 hours. Running rough, but running! I couldn't believe it.

So I did lots of research, purchased parts, and started work on it last night.

I dropped the lower unit last night - drained the gear lube first. It was full and fairly clean - no sign of water infiltration, that made me very happy! I unclamped the neutral clutch cable up top, then dropped down the main drive shaft and water pump assembly. The neutral clutch cable had some bad frays in it, and the water pump impeller had a couple busted legs. I already purchased a replacement impeller, and made a new clutch cable from some stainless cable and aluminum cable crimps I had on hand.

See these pictures for my home-made cable:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1067...9707728834?banner=pwa&authkey=CKy4--yztqXfoQE

That should work eh? I haven't put it all back together yet - tonight right after work & chores I'll get back into it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: I acquired a 1952 Johnson TN-28

Hard to tell from pics but should work. As you found out, the impellers are NLA, did you bore out a 5.5 impeller?

The following site should be of assistance, especially when it comes to the carb, they are different from what you may be used to.

http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Do you have a plan for dealing with the brass sleeve just above the ball on the old cable? That passes through a rubber seal which will leak if not a good fit.

Question #2, where did you get an impeller?

Kris.J

Seaman

Hard to tell from pics but should work. As you found out, the impellers are NLA, did you bore out a 5.5 impeller?

The following site should be of assistance, especially when it comes to the carb, they are different from what you may be used to.

http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/

Yes - I purchased part number 18-3001 from my local Napa store.
I gently reamed it out with a rat-tail file by hand until it fit.

I have read David Poche's articles repeatedly, thanks though!
Carb is next. I have cork, and I have various bits of pump leather too from tinkering with white gas lanterns and stoves.

Kris.J

Seaman

Do you have a plan for dealing with the brass sleeve just above the ball on the old cable? That passes through a rubber seal which will leak if not a good fit.

Question #2, where did you get an impeller?

#1 - No I do not, but I do now thank you!
I'll goto the hardware and see if he's got any tiny brass tubing, then I'll cut a section to match the original, slide it over the cable, then gently crimp down the ends. If I can't find the tubing in town, I know I can get it from Micro-Mark: http://www.micromark.com/metal-tube-round.html

#2 - see above.

nwcove

Admiral

you can get the small brass tubing at any hobby/rc shop.....and in many sizes.

Kris.J

Seaman

Lower unit is all back together & filled with new gear oil.
I made a new sleeve on the lower end of my homemade neutral clutch cable out of very small copper tubing - thanks for pointing that out F_R!

I bought a compression tester on my way home from work today...
HOORAY!
80psi in both cylinders cold! :)

Now to dismount the carb to the bench. I think I'll save dismantling it until tomorrow after work - I'm whooped!

After carb I'll replace the ignition components & the head gasket. I guess I probably don't need to fiddle with the head since my compression check, but I bought one so it's going to get done.

Kris.J

Seaman

So I got the carb dismounted and couldn't resist - I sat down at the bench and dismantled it.
The cork is in great shape, the leathers appear fine.
The float pin valve/seat area was in great shape with no corrosion, just a bit of varnish.
The check valve screen was bright and clean, no corrosion - just a bit of particulate that blew right off.
I cleaned everything up with some denatured alcohol and an old toothbrush. It cleaned up very nice, I was happy.

I'll have to hit the hardware store to replace the washers on all the screws on the bottom of the carb. Other than that, the carb is in great shape!

I am still trying to not get my hopes up too much... but so far it looks like I got really lucky and scored a good runner!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

So far so good. 80 psi is good on a TN, I personally would not replace the head gasket, but keep it as a spare for now.

Be careful that the float pin lines up with the hole in the cover when reassembling, or she will leak like a sieve and flood.

Kris.J

Seaman

Great idea, thanks Chris! I'll leave the head alone for now.

I thought I had it aligned properly - I even shook the carb and could hear the float thumping up and down...
I will double-check this evening for sure.

SeaHorseJW-19M

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Kris, Glad to see someone with the same model I may be trying to refurbish,I found mine in a junk pile where I use to store my old car.It was just sitting there for who knows how long ,the magnetto is missing and the tank,so not sure if it's salvageable yet.But it seems to be the same 5 hp. Motor,I know it's aTN? 26 or 28,will check later

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Hi Kris, Glad to see someone with the same model I may be trying to refurbish,I found mine in a junk pile where I use to store my old car.It was just sitting there for who knows how long ,the magnetto is missing and the tank,so not sure if it's salvageable yet.But it seems to be the same 5 hp. Motor,I know it's aTN? 26 or 28,will check later

Where in Canada are you?

SeaHorseJW-19M

Seaman Apprentice

Richmond Hill,I'm the same guy with the 3hp Johnson SeaHorse JW-19M,with the point gap issue,as you see I have a 5hp with the magnetto and the whole top missing.Thinking of refurb it if possible

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Richmond Hill,I'm the same guy with the 3hp Johnson SeaHorse JW-19M,with the point gap issue,as you see I have a 5hp with the magnetto and the whole top missing.Thinking of refurb it if possible

Im in Hamilton, if you ever need help feel free to message me and pop by. I have about 5 or 6 TN parts motors as well.

SeaHorseJW-19M

Seaman Apprentice

Nice to meet you Chris,will keep you in mind if I decide to go further with this motor ,its a TN 26 that I have ,the stater ,tank, magnetto missing

Kris.J

Seaman

Pump puller!

David Poche describes several different methods of pulling the two brass washers and priming pump leathers here, http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/CarbService.html.

I don't have any of those tools, and didn't feel like making one - so I looked in my bug box and tried a drywall anchor. It works great! Screw it in, the plastic expands, then grab the screw head with needle nose pliers & pull 'em out.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1067...ms/5775214954297105921?authkey=COCok8GQ4Pz5XA

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I used heat - torch and they fell right out.

Kris.J

Seaman

Is there a low speed needle? If yes, where?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yes, look down to the right, facing the motor. It is a little rod bent like an L at the end.