Evinrude 1984 25hp 2 stroke, water discharge.

FrogmanRN

Recruit
Hi All,

I have just purchaced a inflatable with a Evinrude 1984 25hp 2 stroke, my question is: How soon should water come out the pee hole when started? ,does it need to warm up first? I ran her for about a minute and a half with no sign????

Any help will be much appreciated,

Thanks.

2manband

Seaman
Re: Evinrude 1984 25hp 2 stroke, water discharge.

Hi All,

I have just purchaced a inflatable with a Evinrude 1984 25hp 2 stroke, my question is: How soon should water come out the pee hole when started? ,does it need to warm up first? I ran her for about a minute and a half with no sign????

Any help will be much appreciated,

Thanks.

I believe that it should start discharging water from the telltale (pee hole) right away. My 1981 Johnson 25hp does.

Some of the older motors have a blubber hole that only starts spraying water once the thermostat opens up (30 seconds or so), but I'm pretty sure that anything with a telltale should start peeing immediately.

FrogmanRN

Recruit

Thanks for the reply, the exhaust spits alot of water out, but it does have the taletell so it should be coming from there as well then?

Thanks

2manband

Seaman

Thanks for the reply, the exhaust spits alot of water out, but it does have the taletell so it should be coming from there as well then?

Thanks

Yep - should start peeing from the telltale right away.

First thing I would check would be the telltale hole itself. Sometimes insect nests etc. will clog it up if the motor hasn't run for a while. You can try poking it out with a little piece of wire - maybe that's all it needs.

The telltale isn't the only water discharge, it's just an indicator. Most of the water comes out with the exhaust, so you may be pumping water just fine, it's just that the telltale is plugged up.

That's not a sure thing though - you may still have bigger water circulation problems, so be careful that you don't overheat the engine while investigating.

FrogmanRN

Recruit

Hi,

I dropped the lower unit and pumped water up the water pipe and water came out the exhaust but not the telltale, the pipe from the block to the telltale was clear so i removed the plastic bit that screws into the block and it was blocked by something so good news there, after clearing that water flowed out the telltale, All thanks to previous posts.

I have another couple of questions, with the lower unit removed I had a look at the impeller it all looked fine but what should I be looking for? for future maintenance, also the hole where you undo the linkage rod thing, the gasket is a bit tatty does this area need to be water tight? and could I use liquid gasket to get me out on the water sooner rather than wait for a part?

Once again thank you.

adt2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Having just gone through some water pump issues myself, I can offer a little advice (although I'm still a relative newbie and whatever I say should probably be verified by somebody with more experience than I have). First, if you've already got it apart, replace the impeller and the O-ring at the top of the shaft. They're both cheap and there's no reason not to do it while you have it apart. That having been said, what you're looking for on the impeller are clean blades that don't hold a set; when you take the impeller out of the housing, the blades should stick straight out, not retain a curve.

Also, use water or compressed air to clear out the water passages ahead of the impeller; mine were blocked, so even though the impeller was new, the pump wasn't pumping anything.

Not sure on the gasket vs. liquid gasket at the access port cover; I have no idea whether that ought to be water-tight or not. Somebody else will be along shortly to answer that question, I'm sure. Good luck.