'86 Mercruiser 140 hi RPM Shutdown

gobo

Cadet
I have an '86 Mercruiser 140. It has not been run in about 1+ years.<br />I replaced the pts., cap, plugs, and she fired right up!<br />Above 3000 rpm she shuts down!<br />What is the problem?<br />It is getting gas, and the carb fuel filter is clean.<br />At idle there are no misses.<br />Could it be a bad plug wire? Can I test that with a voltmeter?<br />Thanks for all the help!<br />Bo

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '86 Mercruiser 140 hi RPM Shutdown

Is it getting ENOUGH gas?

ron7000

Banned

could you define "shuts down" better?<br />above 3000 rpm and doing 25-30 mph are you saying the engine shuts completely off to where you slow down, get it back in neutral, and restart the engine?<br />It sounds like an ignition problem, if it were a fuel problem it would sputter but continue running at a lower rpm... usually.<br />A bad plug wire would cause a miss or sputter, and not allow you to reach high rpm, and you would feel it when the engine is under load with the boat getting out of the hole and at higher rpms. If the plug wires are original then probably a good idea to just replace them.<br />With a voltmeter you may be able to compare resistances among the 4 wires, it may give you some idea but I wouldn't get your hopes up that will solve the problem. My best guess is either the condensor or the coil given your symptoms.

gobo

Cadet

I got 2 good fuel filters in. I replaced the pts, cap rotor... I put in new plugs.<br />If the coil was bad, wouldn't it not run?<br />It hits about 3300 rpm then bogs down and will die if you don't throttle down!<br />If you go full throttle, the carb sounds as if it is kinda "coughing".<br />(just once while loosing pwr)<br />Help...<br />Bo