85 OMC Outdrive will not Tilt down

fburke

Seaman Apprentice
I Took the clutch cover off and removed the worm gear and I was able to raise and lower the motor all parts moved freely..

I took apart the tilt shaft and what I noticed is that this was not spinning when the Tilt motor is engaged ( new motor previous owner installed it)?It?s .almost like it?s not making a connection with the tilt motor. I would think that I would see or feel movement in this shaft when the motor is engaged. I even pushed in on it a bit?I feel that I have eliminated the clutch and gears in the lower part if this shaft isn?t moving?..

I tried to remove the tilt shaft but wasn?t ab le too..i was able to pull it out somewhat but then it hung up I didn?t want to force it? should this come all the way out?

I?m a Newbee to the boating world and am learning as I go I was given this boat for free so it a learning project for me? I hope I not asking dumb questions?.i have included a picture of the shaft

ATTACH=CONFIG]163202[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Re: 85 OMC Outdrive will not Tilt down

You worm gear looks like it's in backwards. That long shaft goes the other way and engages the hammer coupling that I mentioned in your other thread.

fburke

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome! I hope it is that simple…should this come all the way out the back? It only comes out as far as in the pic before it stops and I didn’t want to try to force it. I’m really hoping I don’t have to pull the tilt motor…my arms are not long enough to reach the bottom bolt ..it does not look fun to to.

Thanks for the advice!! you guys are awwesome!

southkogs

Staff member

I have an older drive and my intermediate housing is a bit different than yours - that delightful three bolt approach to opening the worm gear housing musta' been a premium option later ;) (I can't get to mine like you can.) All that to say, I don't know about pulling it all the way out through the back...

BUT ... I should think it'll be nearly impossible to match that worm gear shaft properly to the hammer coupling from that end. You can try it, but I will be (pleasantly) surprised if it works that way. Pulling the motor ain't fun ... but I think it's where you might be at. (It's also not the worst thing in the world either, at least on my boat).

It looks like southkogs is right in that its in backwards. That shaft sticking out has two identifying characteristics that make me think so, although I can't quite see the tip end clear enough to be sure. The two characteristics are 1. the two small holes in the shaft and 2. if the tip end has a slotted end. The end of the big wormgear that should face the front of the boat will have a slot in it for two short pins to engage it and lock it into the rotation of the shaft. Those (1.)two small holes in the shaft are where the two short pins should be that slide into the slot on the big wormgear and lock it into rotation. Regarding (2.)the tip end of the shaft having a slotted end, my shaft with a slotted end slides into a hole just in front of where the wormgear sits and I push it forward until it runs into the electric tilt motor. Then I rotate that shaft until that slotted end matches up with something on the end of the electric tilt motor and slides forward another 1/2" or so. Now it should turn when the electric tilt motor is running. None of this flipping it around will do you any good unless you get those two small pins for the two small holes on that shaft. Otherwise, that shaft will spin with the tilt motor and have no way of locking the wormgear into rotation. Last week, I bought the shaft and two pins off of this website and my tilt raises and lowers just fine. Actually, I took everything out of that box, soaked it in gas, then oil, scrubbed it with a wire brush, put it all back together and now it works.

Additionally, I met some resistance in getting that shaft out all the way as you mentioned. Apparently, the hole that the shaft goes in is incredibly accurate so I just wiggled and rotated and pulled until the shaft came out. Beware though, it's pretty touchy getting it to slide back into that accurate hole. BTW my boat is an 83 OMC so there could be some differences.

fburke

Seaman Apprentice

you can't see it in the picture but the pins are there intact along with the worm gear... the end that you are looking at is smooth end no slot....i have not had it all the way out but i would guess the slot is on the other end....for the diagram it looks like that slot end is suspose to fact tha back of the boat....i;ll messs with it some more tomorrow night...hopfully this is all it is...i guess worce case is that the shaft is broken.

fburke

Seaman Apprentice

Sure enough I pulled the shaft out all the way and it's broken...that would do it...now to order a new one and a few gaskets ..40.00 repair and and she should raise again....now on to the engine to her running...stay tuned for more dumb questions... :)

fburke

Seaman Apprentice

this is what i found...the shaft was in backwards...and it's missing the tabs at the end...there sheered off.

IMG_2412.JPG

southkogs

Staff member

C'mon eBay!! :D

Actually, before you get too far - take a quick look on CL in your area (or close by). You might find a cheap "donor" boat that you can scavange parts off of. Better if you can just find a parts stern drive but that's not as likely.

fburke

Seaman Apprentice

You worm gear looks like it's in backwards. That long shaft goes the other way and engages the hammer coupling that I mentioned in your other thread.

I’m confused…in the diagram it shows the tilt shaft (the end with the tabs) pointing towards the back of the boat and worm gear….that does not make since..no real connection with the motor ….it looks like it should be assembled with the tabs at the motor end going into the hammer coupling as I have pictured…..the looks like it would work and everything fits correctly….

I found my issue…the old shaft was broken. And on of the tabs on the hammer coupling needs to be filed a little it doesn’t make a smooth connection with the motor,

Is the diagram worng ??

tiltshaftdiag2.jpg

tiltshaftassembly.jpg

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

It looks like the diagram is wrong. The way you have it in the pic is correct.

fburke

Seaman Apprentice

It looks like the diagram is wrong. The way you have it in the pic is correct.

awesome ..thats what i thought...the other way just didn;t make since...glad i pulled the moter out....now i see why the shaft brooke in the first place...oh well....done for today...have to order another gasket before i can put it back togeather.

thanks for the advice guys...everyone here rocks!

southkogs

Staff member

Good eye fburke! Too bad OMC ain't around any more to crab at :D

Getting that motor out is a real rib buster most of the time. Once you've done it twice though, you generally figure out a time saver or two. In your case, you wind up solving all sorts of issues. Hope it all wraps up well.

fburke

Seaman Apprentice

Good eye fburke! Too bad OMC ain't around any more to crab at :D

Getting that motor out is a real rib buster most of the time. Once you've done it twice though, you generally figure out a time saver or two. In your case, you wind up solving all sorts of issues. Hope it all wraps up well.

Actually getting the motor out wasn't that bad..I removed 6 screws and took the lower portion of the engine "doghouse? out...once that was out the entire front of the motor was exposed and i was able to lay down get my hand under the motor....now I just need a new gasket so I can put it back in....$1.99 for the gasket....$10.00 for shipping :eek: ..lol....waiting until I need more parts and I?ll order it then...or maybe I?ll just grab some gasket material at the local auto store and make my own.:cool:

Thanks for all the advice.