Trying to remove lower end, what am I missing?

gwoloshyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to drop this lower end off a 1986 Mercury 20hp but cannot find the last bolt that is holding it on. The front part is loose (above the prop) the back end of it will not come loose. I'm just trying to replace the impeller. The pictures below tell what I've done so far:

rsz_1picture_003.jpg

rsz_picture_004.jpg

emoney

Commander
Re: Trying to remove lower end, what am I missing?

It might be a case of it being just tight from wear, etc. Do you have a manual for your motor or have you tried searching for an online version? Sorry, I know nothing about your model, just thought I'd reply and keep it up towards the top of the forum until someone comes along that does know them.

I have, however, had to "persuade" a lower unit to come off with a rubber mallet. The can be a little stubborn after a bit.

gwoloshyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, the motor belongs to a friend and i am putting in a new impeller so i dont have a manual for it. Could it be held up on the driveshaft or something?

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there are 2 bolted connections
1... is where your water intake is located on lower unit (screen) remove nut
2.... is a nut on the casing above lower unit....bolts go opposite directions...

then give a rap with mallet

..that is just what I looked at... on a 4.5 hp merc with the lower unit off..

hope that helps
FM

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

There is a link in the motor lower cowling that has to be removed from the shift linkage inorder to get the LU off. It is in front of the motor and you may have to remove the lower cowling inorder to get to the screw that holds the link together. Look at the shift linkage and the one that has to come lose is the small link to the shaft down to the LU. Remove the screw and pull the link apart. The linkage that you thought was for the shifter, is for the revers lockdown hooks and dosen't need to come lose to remove the LU. JMO
Oldman570

arthurj12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a 1979 20 looks the same just put it in neutral take the three nuts off since u already have get a piece of wood and tap it with hammer all around the lu till she lets go mine came off after a couple minutes of tapping i didn't have to take any linkage or anything else off good luck