Anyone boat the galveson bay area? i have some questions.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been boating in the clear lake/taylor lake area for the last 2 years. I have only went out into the bay two times and those tow times we didnt venture out very far. I would like to make the trip out to redfish island, but i am unsure as to if i have enough boat to do it.

I currently own an 18ft sea ray bow rider. It is a 99 year model and is solid with no issues.

Last year just seemed to be overly windy, and i was kind of gunshy to head out into the open bay with such a little boat. The last two times we went out to the kemah area, the bay was surprisingly calm, and we ventured out 3 or 4 channel markers before turning around and heading back to the safety of inter-coastal water.

I see i can run down the coast south from kemah to san leon, then its a strait shot out to the island. Anyone have any suggestions as far as minimum boat size? would my 18 footer be ok on a calm day?

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Anyone boat the galveson bay area? i have some questions.

I was only out on the bay once, but the day I was out, your 18 footer would have been fine.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

we have went out a couple of times. and it seemed safe, but we didnt venture far out. I would love to be able to get out there, im just afraid of the wind picking up and we getting in trouble quick.

aspeck

Staff member

Just watch the weather and pick your days well.