1989 Baretta with a AQ271C motor having problems cruising.

dman2456

Recruit
hello,
i recently purchased a 1989 Baretta cuddy cabin with a Volvo PEnta AQ271c motor. i took it out for the first time and it started right up nice and idle perfect. Went to take off in it and the thing only got to 2200 Rpms WOT and i Dont know if thats correct or not but to me it seems wrong but im not sure. Well anyways then it acted like it wanted to quit and i had to back off the throttle a little to keep it running. Thinking it was a carb issue i took the carb that was on the boat and replaced it with a holley 4150 Car Carb just to see how it runs. It ran a lot smoother at idle but it still only got to 2200 RPM WOT. It will rev up over 5000 rpm just sitting still but once it gets put in gear and puts a load on motor it only gets to 2200rpms. PLease help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1989 Baretta with a AQ271C motor having problems cruising.

hello,
i recently purchased a 1989 Baretta cuddy cabin with a Volvo PEnta AQ271c motor. i took it out for the first time and it started right up nice and idle perfect. Went to take off in it and the thing only got to 2200 Rpms WOT and i Dont know if thats correct or not but to me it seems wrong but im not sure. Well anyways then it acted like it wanted to quit and i had to back off the throttle a little to keep it running. Thinking it was a carb issue i took the carb that was on the boat and replaced it with a holley 4150 Car Carb just to see how it runs. It ran a lot smoother at idle but it still only got to 2200 RPM WOT. It will rev up over 5000 rpm just sitting still but once it gets put in gear and puts a load on motor it only gets to 2200rpms. PLease help.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Run a compression test to see the general health of the motor,...

Is the Gas, really gas,..?? Check the contents of the fuel filter, 'n put on a new 1...

mybadford

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1989 Baretta with a AQ271C motor having problems cruising.

Might try a tune up. Points, condenser, cap, rotor, plugs, wires. My Baretta did similar as you described and I thought it was a fuel problem as well. After going through the fuel system with no luck, I went to the ignition and it runs great Thanks to the good people on IBOATS.