Length of spark plug wires

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
I'm replacing the spark plug wires and the ones they sold me are the kind you have to cut and assemble. I read the posts on how to do that. My question is to length. My boat is kept out of town and I brought 1 wire home with me to match, noting that they all appeared to be the same size. But to be safe, I thought I'd make these a tad bit longer, since you can't add it back to them! Any harm in that?
I need to assemble these at home before returning to the boat to try them out, for reasons not worth going into.

thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Length of spark plug wires

You might tell us the year and HP of the motor. My old Merc took 36" spark plug wires. Newer motors take 9" wires.

Also some motor parts places list lengths of wires as part of info when looking up the application.

nwcove

Admiral

just a query, but did you get automotive wires? ( my local uap/napa wont stock metalic core wire, but offered me a set of four "DIY" automotive wires)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Johnson 70hp approx 1987. Existing wires all the same sioze and about 4". I bought the new ones from the marine dealer and they are BRP and marine, not automotive. Each end is identical; the fitting is a spring.

Although I was also wondering if there's a difference, if auto wires are interchangeable and if the motor year/size etc matters, or are spark plug wires pretty much the same? But my question was justy to lenght, if an inch would matter. I can't se how it would but motors can be illogical at times.

nwcove

Admiral

the only issue with the wires being to long....that i can see, would be chaffing against the cowl etc . can you partially assemble at home, and do the final fit on location?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Johnson 70hp approx 1987. Existing wires all the same sioze and about 4". I bought the new ones from the marine dealer and they are BRP and marine, not automotive. Each end is identical; the fitting is a spring.

Although I was also wondering if there's a difference, if auto wires are interchangeable and if the motor year/size etc matters, or are spark plug wires pretty much the same? But my question was justy to lenght, if an inch would matter. I can't se how it would but motors can be illogical at times.
Outboard wires should be solid core your all set with the brp[ wires.I don't see any length problems as long as there is no chafing.