Trim tabs on Lund WC-16 dlx??

xjma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Been doing some reading on here and thinking that the lund could benefit from some trim tabs. Thing is I can't find any pics or anyone talking about putting tirm tabs on such a basic boat, only on fancier or bigger boats. It's a light boat with the 20hp honda on the back (only like 108 #) but the battery is under the seat and it would be a real PITA to change that. I keep the 3gal tank as far forward as I can (usually infront of the livewell). I know the issue is weight distribution but most often there is basically no weight other than me and the motor in the boat, at the back. I run the motor trimmed down as far as possible and I get the best results, but still before planing the bow likes to ride high. Having another person sit basically on the bow gets another 2mph on the gps over what I can do alone in the boat sitting at the front edge of the seat. Alone, just moving myself 6" forward on the seat gets me another 1.5 mph!!

So are trim tabs total overkill on a small fishing/fun boat like this?? I was looking at the smart tabs, probably go with the plastic ones as they're just over 100 and no worries on corrosion or anything AND I don't want to add any more electronics/hydraulics to the boat, motor, fish finder, radio, lights is all it needs!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Trim tabs on Lund WC-16 dlx??

Trim tabs might be a waste. You could loose a tiny bit of speed but you will level out. On smaller boats many people use a secret weight in the bow (A sandbag) to level out and it is adjustable by filling it up or dumping some out.

It sounds as if a few minor changes in the set-up will fix your situation w/o spending a penny.

xjma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Trim tabs on Lund WC-16 dlx??

OK, thanx for the replies. I'll give the sandbag trick a try!