1996 Seadoo XP blowing 5 amp fuse

nRichOutdoors

Recruit
Hi all, I have a 96 Seadoo XP that has been running great for me all summer. Recently, while I was driving around the 5 amp fuse in MPEM box blew. I replaced the fuse and it blew again after the engine ran for a few seconds. I am wondering what steps I should take into narrowing down what could be causing this, because to my understanding it could be a variety of things. (Side note, it was flipped by a friend a few weeks back and I jetted the water out of the crankcase and has been running fine since then. Also, VTS has been unplugged all summer because it doesn't work) Any input is much appreciated!

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1996 Seadoo XP blowing 5 amp fuse

Are you sure that there isn't any water in either of the electrical boxes? I got a good bit of water in my rear electrical box during the Memorial Day weekend in late May and it caused engine running problems. (one of two 1996 SD XPs) Didn't blow any fuses, though. Still, you might want to check for water.

nRichOutdoors

Recruit

Are you sure that there isn't any water in either of the electrical boxes? I got a good bit of water in my rear electrical box during the Memorial Day weekend in late May and it caused engine running problems. (one of two 1996 SD XPs) Didn't blow any fuses, though. Still, you might want to check for water.

Yeah after the incident I checked both boxes, the MPEM box had no moisture whatsoever get inside of it, everything inside of it looks brand new. I just looked at the rear box again today and there was a bit of corrosion on the starter solenoid...I took that off and cleaned everything up, put it back on and it blew the 5 amp fuse still. I'm going to start chasing wires when I have some more time to look at it this weekend. Hope I can get it figured out!

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try doing this. Unplug the red wire on your rectifier. Put a new fuse in and see if it starts. If so, take it for a quick spin. Note that the battery is NOT charging doing this test so don't go far. If this works, replace the rectifier.