Need help/suggestions installing 2nd battery and inverter

winty03

Cadet
Question regarding running 2 batteries on a pontoon. My plan is to use one battery solely for starting/engine and then switch over to 2nd battery to run stereo when floating/swimming and running inflator/deflator. With that being said, I also need to install a inverter that is connected to the 2nd battery to run 110v. Our inflator/deflator is 110v turbo that inflates to 3.0psi and runs off 110v, so I will need to spec out an inverter to run that. I assume I will need

battery switch--I was looking at the blue sea 9002e
http://bluesea.com/category/78/1/products/9002e

I am looking for inverters...I am thinking in the 1500watt will run the inflator
I have been looking at Xantrex inverters.....

and of course some cabling to make the connections.

Did some searching and have seen some diagrams, some are really complex and more than we will ever have for a setup and some are very basic. I just want the way to not damage any electrical components and no risk of fire.

Thanks

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need help/suggestions installing 2nd battery and inverter

Here is what I did.

Bought a lawn tractor battery at Wal Mart, about $23.00 It is about 1/2 the size of a standard starting battery. I wired the 'Hot' sides together, than tied the grounds together through a standard light switch. (about 3 bucks at Wal Mart) I also got a standard outlet box that mounts from the front, cut a hole in the base of my seat and mounted two standard light switches in it. Switch 1 ties both batteries together so when the engine is running, both charge. When stopped, turn off the switch and the batteries are isolated. I then wired the radio, air pumps, and water pump through the second battery. The only thing still on the original battery is the motor.

Here is a thought, for the price of that inverter to run your 110v air pump, you can buy 2 or 3 12v units. in the best case, those inverters are about 80% efficient. The cheaper ones are around 60% We have been out all day, pumped up 5 or 6 air toys, ran the radio (XM) all day and the GPS and Fish Finder and didn't kill the mower battery. We have even had people come over when they see we have an electric inflator.... easy way to meet people on the lake.

For another 50 bucks you can buy an isolator that automatically switches the batteries, I'm just cheap. Just remember to turn off the duel batteries when starting, then turn them on together to charge.

Good Luck!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

If you are going to be 40 miles out to sea, get the second battery properly setup.

If you're boating inland, buy one of those rechargeable jump starters with a built in air pump. They're available at any WalMart or national auto parts store. You can use it as a pump and you've got a jump start available if needed. That way, all the hassle and expense of a second battery, Perko switch and other hardware--not needed.

RustyShackleford

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1500 watts is probably bigger than you need. Volts X Amps = watts. Unless that's a 10A pump..
If you do go with a second battery for your accessories, spend the extra money and get a deep discharge battery. Every time you run a standard battery really low, you cause permanent damage to it. If you actually run it dead, it only take 5-10 times to ruin the battery. I plan to just have one large deep discharge battery and a jump starter. And a low voltage alarm, of course.

winty03

Cadet

Took a look at the inflator, it's electrical rating is 917w So Im thinking 1k to 1500watts isn't too far off. Our previous boat setup was 2 deep cycles batteries setup in a series (24v) using a 2500watt inverter. The reason we were setup to use 24volt was because it had a 75lb thrust trolling motor. Just used that system to connect our inverter. I know we need to do a 2nd deep cycle battery, because 6 hrs of radio and or inflating towables, I think that single starting battery will be toast really fast. Just trying to figure out the best setup to get installed.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Go all out with the blue sea add-a-battery.

Attachments

• Photo06150729_50[1].jpg
    Photo06150729_50[1].jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Photo06150801_1_50[1].jpg
    Photo06150801_1_50[1].jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Add A Battery Schematic.jpg
    Add A Battery Schematic.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1

winty03

Cadet

After a bunch of research last night, I think I am going to. I was looking at a couple blue top optima batteries, connected up to the add-a-battery kit. If I understand correctly; It isolates the batteries when being discharged (engine starting only discharges "battery 1" and inverter, bilge pump, or whatever is connected to "battery 2" only discharges "battery 2"....but when it senses a charge current, from the alternator, it connects the 2 batteries and equally charges them. Is that correct? Also it doesn't look like you connected the "start isolation" connection, what does that do?

Looks like I need:
Blue Seas P/N
1-Add-A-Battery 7650
1-Bus Bar 2303
1-Bus Bar Cover 2715
2-80 Amp ANL Fuse 5124
2-ANL Fuse Blocks 5005