Best method to clean a stainless prop

kvjimbo

Seaman Apprentice
White vinegar soaking over night works great, but I would like to be able to clean it with out removing it.

Toilet bowl cleaner and a kitchen pad works fairly well, but requires a lot of scrubbing.

jestor68

Commander
Re: Best method to clean a stainless prop

Chrome polish.

When it's in the water, nobody will see all your hard work. Why bother?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Never Dull works well. 0000 steel wool. Spray with a rattle can of clear coat to seal it.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On & Off would work well, but wear your respirator (I mean it).

Sea ya...

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

If it's green and gunky, start with a good spray of bleach water. Finish with spraying all the rubber parts with silicone spray.

Best cheap cleaner on the market is Awesome which can be bought @ $1 spray bottle @ Dollar General.

Best orange based cleaner is Zep which is available at Home Depot. It cleans painters' hands faster than any commercial hand cleaner, and will take paint and stains out of carpets, clothes, etc. It's absolutely awesome.

Brewman61

Ensign

50/50 mix of muriatic acid and water. Marine growth dissolves with little or not scrubbing- at least the crud I pick up in my lake does.
Rinse the heck out of it, and exercise proper common sense saftey precautions. Add acid to water, don't add water to acid.
Cheapest most effective hull cleaner I've ever used. Shines up my SS prop. like new.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The On & Off cleaner I mentioned is muriatic acid, so +1 on that.

But, researching it I found it is corrosive to metals, so use it lightly and quickly.

Again, wear a respirator. It will take your breath away instantly and kill your lungs.

Sea ya...

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ahh heck, just run it through the sand. Just kidding --- West Marine sells a metal cleaner that works pretty well. It's got a very fine abrasive in it that will polish but not scratch.

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use industrial cleaners at work, look up amsan.com and see if you can order hd23 its a bowl cleaner like someone said but it cleaned my prop in seconds. i took it off but it took basically no scrubbing at all and didn't tarnish it a bit. i imagine that and a garden hose would work.

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found a nice s/s polish & cleaner at auto zone that works super on mine. A little pricy, but worth it to me.