1998 SeaRay 230 BR Aerial Assault Tower

Litigator

Cadet
After a long time from getting the tower installed on my 1998 Sea Ray 230 BR, I finally have time to upload the pics. The tower is good and strong but took a lot longer then expected to install, about 20hours total. First the instructions suck beyond even using! The anchor light screws were not the correct thread pitch to match the tapped holes and were not stainless steel. The racks did not sit flush and required me to fabricate a rubber spacer between rack and tower mount. After those issues were resolved the tower went well. I used a couple buddies to install the bases and took a pile of measurements. We verified the locations and begun drilling. That process took around 8 hours and most of the work. Next day was to install the sides and top to complete the tower. That went well and needed a few hands to hold it all up while bolting it together. That process took about 4 hours. Finally was to install the speakers and run the wiring. That was a royal pain but quality work takes time, about 8 hours. Aerial told me the factory bimini would not fit but I knew it would and the pictures prove it. Some people said it wasn't very solid and rigid but I found it to be very rigid and have minimal movement.

For all the mount questions, this is what I did and its super rock solid. I used Goop Supermend and some 3/8" marine plywood supplied by "sickwilly". A major thanks goes out to him for hooking me up with plywood!!! We cut the bases to fit the fiberglass and filled the gap with the epoxy. The epoxy holds great strength and bonding. This was messy and make sure it doesn't get on the bolt threads. Overall it looks great and gets lots of compliments. I can really launch of the wake now and recommend the tower to others. Anyhow now on to the pictures, I will add more of the amp and backing plates.
IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: 1998 SeaRay 230 BR Aerial Assault Tower

It looks pretty good, but don't shoot the messenger. It looks like you put the sides on the wrong side. All the bolts look like they are going the wrong direction (inside to out) on the mounts of the rack to the boat and the flat bow shaped pieces (switchblade) that the racks mount to.

Not sure if it would make a difference, but may explain your issue with mounting the racks.

There are some pretty good installation directions and pictures here:
http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/v/vspfiles/support/assault-installation.asp
AERIAL_AK_8188.jpg

Litigator

Cadet
Re: 1998 SeaRay 230 BR Aerial Assault Tower

no worries dude, thats not the exact bolts I was referring too. The bolts facing in or out doesn't matter but more appearance then anything. I liked the smooth outside look over bolt heads. The bolts I was referring to were the 4 bolts that mount the rack base to the tower, or to explain in depth the trapezoid shape piece to the tower side (middle 4 bolts in the 2nd to last picture of the 2nd post). Hope that helps explain the details.