bow cap removal

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer
hey guys ..... how do you remove the bow cap ( skin ) . need to install the new bow support and seems it will be alot easier with access from top and botom. thanks all, scott

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: bow cap removal

Hey coolbikeguy. Isn't the skin just riveted to the gunnel? I'd say pull the side trim and take a look.

The transom end of my I/O SS was just rivets, but I've never pulled a front off. Sorry. Maybe someone who has can chim in.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, you'll need to remove the rub rails, then the rub rail channels, then you can drill out the rivets to remove the skin.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

thats what i was afraid of .... ill try and make do without going through all of that lol

barato2

Commander

when you say bow support, do you mean the wood 1x4s underneath cap that tuck into the bracket at bow? i just cheezed out and reinf'd mine with a simple framework made from some epoxy saturated 1/2" oak rather than try to pull it. i only had one spot of rot under where the old horn was. even counting the epoxyin and cutting the bevel at the outboard edge, it only took maybe an hour or 2 and had side benefit of giving me hell-for-stout reinforcement on bow cleat and deck chocks.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

b2 ..... im talking about the piece that gets covered in vinyl .... the piece that goes from port to starboard .... mine had been hacked on and haced on and hacked on again by previous owners. since it was already trashed i cut it in 1/2 with a sawzall ... came right out ...lol the new piece is epoxied oak.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, it's a tough call. Starcraft certainly put that piece in then the cap. For us guys rebuilding it makes for a tough choice trying to rebuild with the cap on vs. pull everything apart:rolleyes:

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

decided to remove it but i cant for the life of me see the nut thats on the forward most bolt ( at the point of the bow ).... uggghhh how do i get to that thing.

ALSO ..... is the rubber from my rub rail re-usable ?? seems like its going to be a major pain to put back in.

i am surprised as i pulled off some of the aluminum part of the rub rail how many of the rivet "heads" are broke off. made it worth removing the rub rail

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I had to end up drilling a few of mine out on the Jet Star as I simply couldn't get my hands on em from the inside.

The rubrail should slide right back in for ya. Be careful though!!! If it's brittle and cracks you'll find yourself spending some big bux for new stuff.

When I worked on my bow skin I actually doubled the number of rivets and it made the whole thing way stiffer/stronger. I was glad I took the time to do it.:)

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

well ... rub rail and skin are both off ...... holy crap there were alot of rivet head broke. there were only like 3 rivets holding the bow skin on. i took a fewpics and will post in a lil bit when i have more time .....

jas ..... extra rivets sound like a good idea..... for the bow skin.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer