Videos of my ESA not working and then working; what did fixing it change?

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was doing some tinkering last night and discovered this. My ESA arm wasn't moving much at all.

http://youtu.be/6-0l9lWKGUo

So I took it off the mount and cleaned out the pivoting parts. Previously I had zip-tied this cable and the one going to the selector lever together because the lever cable had been touching the exhaust manifold and scorching. This was stopping it from moving freely. So now it does this.

http://youtu.be/vLE_tMJfSFk

So now that this is working correctly, what is going to work better on my boat lol? I understand what the ESA does, just still not sure exactly HOW it does it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Videos of my ESA not working and then working; what did fixing it change?

You need the engine running to see if it is working correctly and the boat needs to be in the water. With the boat out of water and engine running, you shouldn't see much movement. With the boat in the water, you should only see it move and activate the switch going out of gear.

The ESA should only activate trying to pull the dog clutches apart when they are under load.

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I was just seeing if what I changed did any good. With the cable zip-tied to the other there was little to no movement at all in the mechanism.

I am not sure if the shift interruptor switch is supposed to be in the v-notch while in gear, or at the top of one of the teeth like it is now. (EDIT: nevermind I found it. It should only go to the top of the teeth momentarily).

I understand that the cable will not properly manipulate the arm if the boat isn't in the water, but the motor should still stumble if I manually push the lever on the switch, right?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I understand that the cable will not properly manipulate the arm if the boat isn't in the water, but the motor should still stumble if I manually push the lever on the switch, right?
Yes it should.

And just so you know, the other switch there is the overstroke switch. When you are completely into gear, that switch is contacted and the switch opens up disabling the shift switch from activating the ESA.

Later ESAs do not use that switch. The ESA that doesn't use the switch has a timer that only causes the engine to stumble for a set time once the switch is contacted.