Success!

2manband

Seaman
Makes all the headache worthwhile when you finally succeed.

I received a 1975 9.9 hp Johnson as part of a package deal with a 14' Starcraft aluminum boat and trailer.

Cylinder head and water cover were warped - sprayed water everywhere under the cowling, water got into cylinder and killed the motor. Motor must have overheated (later found that the thermostat was stuck shut) but it wasn't siezed and would actually run for a few seconds until the water killed it.

I flattened both the head and the water cover with a little 220 grit taped to my (flat) cast iron table saw table. They weren't too far off, but just enough to leak.

New head and water cover gaskets. New thermostat. New spark plugs. Rebuilt carb. Rebuilt water pump. Much gnashing of teeth. Several busted knuckles. Several parts orders. New and innovative curses were uttered.

Got it running and tuned it as best I could in a barrel on Sunday. Hit the water yesterday and it ran like a top. Only died once because I forgot to vent the tank (d'oh!). Starts up on 2 pulls cold and 1 pull warm. Planes off the little Starcraft nicely with one passenger + gear (trolling motor, deep cycle, tackle box, lunch)

Life is good. :D

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Success!

That's great, hope you have many happy boating hours.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great to get feedback from happy members!! Enjoy:)

Rick.

Captain

Thanks for sharing your success. Hope you have many many enjoyable hours of use with only normal maintenance. Best of luck. Rick.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Great motors and really reliable when maintained. Since your knuckles are bruised you have "passed" the learning curve (Paid your dues and learned) and have many years ahead of you!! :)

Good Job!