Play in steering wheel:

RandyBC

Seaman
For rack and pinion steering such as that on my 2352, how much play is normal, and is it adjustable?

emoney

Commander
Re: Play in steering wheel:

You might be best served having this in the "boat repair/non-engine" forum, or even the motor forum.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Teleflex "The Rack" is a weak, inexpensive steering system. They are not repairable. They rely on the Motor's power steering to do much of the work. My buddy ran his Trophy til he lost his steering. The gears in the rack had stripped out. Most people are replacing the Rack type steering with the much improved "Rotary" steering geer. You will need a new (rotary type) cable. You want to make sure there's room behind the helm for the Rotary geer. I've never seen a "Rack" type steering last much more than 8 years, depending on how much the boat is used and the conditions. (Ocean VS Lake)

http://baylinerownersclub.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=32792

RandyBC

Seaman

Thanks once again for the great info Craig. Is Teleflex the one to go to for the rotary steering conversion upgrade? Also, (probably a stupid question), is the 2352 with Mercruiser 5.7 and Alpha one outdrive "power assisted??

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Mercruiser 5.7 are power assisted. I believe there are different gear ratios on the rotary "no feed back" steering. If you like the one you're using, count how many turns from lock to lock. Then, see if they have the same for the Rotary gear.

Teleflex is the big company for steering gears. They have a good reputation for customer service if you have a question. The other company was Morse, which was bought out by Teleflex.

The trick is to get the right cable length. Most cables have a number on them. Or you can take out the old one and measure it. Examine the route the cable takes. You can use the old cable to pull the new one. Or draw a light rope (pull string) when you remove the old cable.

Sometimes you find the Rotary steering kit and cables for good prices on Ebay. Just be knowledgeable about the model, # of turns lock to lock.