4.3 popping thru carb at wot

loie587

Cadet
I have a 97 stingray lx190 Boat ran great all year till this weekend at end of the day on the water started popping or back firing thru carb at wot. I just didnt run it wot and tried to get it to the ramp but as I was almost there it started doing it a little more till it would stall. I started it and it would idle fine but under a load it would stall. It eventually cleaned it self out where I was able to cruise back to the ramp but not at wot. I know at the start of the season I rebuilt the carb, Installed fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I have used the boat allot this year and I am a mechanic at a local car dealership so Im smart when it comes to this. But my ? is that my gut tells me I have a coil breaking down is this possable for these symptoms and is it common. and if not any suggestions are appreciated. My next ? is I have a brand new msd coil for car looks like the same style coil on the boat will these work for marine. I tried looking this up on the internet but I get mixed answers any help is very appreciated Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4.3 popping thru carb at wot

cross-firing, cracked coil tower, carbon tracks in cap,water in fuel, burnt intake valves, lean fuel delivery.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tulip intake valve,check the compression

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Start by checkin' the Contents of the fuel filter,....

loie587

Cadet

I have bought a new fuel filter Im going to start there. Im a little doughtful tho because the 5 gallons I siphoned out I put in my car and my car has been running fine so we will see. Im also doughtful on a burnt intake valve but I will do a compression check this weekend. Im the second owner of the boat and I knew the first and we both took very good maintence of the boat and it only has 300 hours on the boat. So Im just doughtful on the intake valve but I will check it if fuel filter dosent help Thank you and does anyone still know if theres a diffrence between like a msd coil for a car versus a factory marine coil?

loie587

Cadet

So went out twice since I posted this. and what I did was put a new fuel filter and drained all my fuel and did a fuel sample which the fuel sample checked out good. My dad came to visit this week and said when he bought his regal many years ago which he bought brand new he had same issue first time out and the dealer fixed it. It was that the fuel pick up tube had to be adjusted the tubes do not go all the way to the bottom of the tank. Which this is the problem with my boat cause at a 1/4 tank which is about 10 gallons of fuel left in tank my tubes are sucking air. So right now how my boat sits 1/4 tank meand Im empty. Im going to take a look this winter to see if I can adjust mine so they go down a lil more maybe not the bottom of the tank so I dont suck trash but want them down more than where I run out at a 1/4 tank

Bondo

Staff member

So went out twice since I posted this. and what I did was put a new fuel filter and drained all my fuel and did a fuel sample which the fuel sample checked out good. My dad came to visit this week and said when he bought his regal many years ago which he bought brand new he had same issue first time out and the dealer fixed it. It was that the fuel pick up tube had to be adjusted the tubes do not go all the way to the bottom of the tank. Which this is the problem with my boat cause at a 1/4 tank which is about 10 gallons of fuel left in tank my tubes are sucking air. So right now how my boat sits 1/4 tank meand Im empty. Im going to take a look this winter to see if I can adjust mine so they go down a lil more maybe not the bottom of the tank so I dont suck trash but want them down more than where I run out at a 1/4 tank

Ayuh,.... The diptube is usually part of the elbow screwed into the top of the tank, then the anti-siphon valve, 'n of course, the fuel hose to the motor...

Just undo the hose, 'n screw out the elbow, 'n you'll be lookin' at the diptube....

Many are copper tubin' sweat into the elbow,...
Others are nylon tubin' pressed into the fittin'...

Either way, it Should be a Quick, 'n Easy fix...