Cant figure out why buzzer still going off

artcat

Seaman Apprentice
Motor is 1986 Johnson GT 150,,,vro is bypassed,,pump wires unplugged. My buddy had it out today and it started beeping and he said it accelerated beeping as he sped up . He unhooked both overheat wires on heads but no difference. We thought it might be low fuel pressure,but we are pretty sure the fuel vaccum switch is unhooked,,there is 1 wire that comes out of bottom of switch that goes to ground, and the other wire that comes out of bottom goes to a rubber insulated screw on mount for switch,,there is no other wires that go to it,like a power wire. How do these vaccum switches work exactly.. The weird part is,,when he was headin back to the launch it ran like a champ. What else could possibly be causing this buzzer/beeper to go off.

wayne nicol

Cadet
Re: Cant figure out why buzzer still going off

put some oil in the vro reservoir- so that it thinks it still has oil. my vro tank has a "sensor" in it.

artcat

Seaman Apprentice

The vro tank has been long gone,,for probably 15 years.

wayne nicol

Cadet

well, i geuss that aint gonna work then.:redface:

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

... it accelerated beeping as he sped up ...

This is the typical behavior of the VRO alarm. It looks like the VRO warning circuit is still connected.

artcat

Seaman Apprentice

Ahhh,,please explain still connected. it is deffinetly unhooked at the vro pump. I stopped at a small time OMC dealer today and it had the mechanic stumped as well. He said that he only cuts the black(ground) wire that goes to pump,,this is contrary to everything that I have read on this site,all the people in the know say to unhook plug at pump.

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, the proper way to unhook the VRO is to disconnect the VRO's complete 3-pin connector. The behavior of the VRO warning circuit is unpredictable when just the ground wire is cut.
If you're desperate to cut only one wire, the tan (buzzer) is the better choice.