The weirdest thing on the lake this Sunday - ???

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so hottest day of the year up here in the NW on Sunday. Plan a couple days out on the lake ~ Sat was perfect, early to the lake , launched, fished, tubed, swam. Perfect day. BUT SUNDAY ~ I drive the the boat out, launch it perfectly, go to start it up, turn the key, push the choke, motor tuns over, then fires, then dies. So i repeat, but this time nothing happens. I would turn the key and get nothing. when I push in I can hear the choke engaging, so i had power from the key. I would tun the key on and off and just nothing - no click, no noise, and most important, no starter kicking in and turning the motor over, I tried everything, wiggled the handle, wiggled the wires by the starter, checked my circut breaker, wiggled the wires behind the ignition..nothing D E A D boat. So i drag the dead boat out of the water get it back up on the trailer, just for giggles, right before i leave I go to turn the key and viola fired right up. CRAP - so i pull back around, this time into the launch line, wait 30 + minutes, back into the water, turn the key and fires up first time - no problems. warms up, i run it through the cycle from idle to WOT, around the lake, stop, turn off, go , stop turn off go. Perfect day the rest of the time on the water. Never a problem before- WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED and where do I start?

1984 Force 85 HP on a 1984 Bayliner Cuddy

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: The weirdest thing on the lake this Sunday - ???

UMMM, well, sounds like you have an electrical issue.....
Don't have a safety switch anywhere do you?
My though is that it might be the ignition switch, but I really can't help you, sorry.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nope, no safety switch, just a key ignition and throttle. Weird, I know...and it was really weird that it fired over the first time then was just dead after that.

emoney

Commander

Maybe the neutral start switch is acting up? Maybe it wasn't all the way into neutral. Did you have power to anything else?

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe the neutral start switch is acting up? Maybe it wasn't all the way into neutral. Did you have power to anything else?

This is why i love this forum...neutral start switch? where is that? i'm guessing on the throttle arm somewhere?
Yes, I had power to everything else (from what I could tell) It was really odd.

emoney

Commander

Y'up. I don't know your motor that well so wait for somebody smarter than me to come by, but it could also be just needing a little maintenance on the shift cable. I've had plenty that "looked" like they were in neutral until I turned the key and ...nothing.

Jiggz

Captain

Remove the cowl off and then have someone move the throttle forward and reverse while you watch what moves in the engine compartment. The neutral switch has a white button that rides a "cam" like contraption that pushes the button in when in neutral. It has two mounting screws and is adjustable to ensure proper synchronicity with the neutral position of the throttle. There are two wires which can be measured with a continuity tester. There should be continuity when in neutral.

halfmoa

Ensign

Judging by your comment that it fires then dies I don't think it's your neutral safety switch. In my experience with vehicles and limited boat experience (which admittedly doesn't include Force motors) the neutral safety switch shouldn't even allow the engine to turn over let alone turn over and fire then die.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cant wait to get home and try this!

Jiggz

Captain

It' possible the source of the problem is not from the neutral switch if you claim to have power with the choke but not the starter. In this case, the cause could also be the switch itself.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

didnt get to this yesterday, but when i say it fired then died i mean the first time i turned the key everything was normal, choke engaged, starter kicked in, then motor turned and fired up, then died. The second attempt, the second time, the choke engaged but there was nothing else. The only thing that worked was the choke...problem is now I am second guessing myself...its been a few days and now Im thinking I did not wiggle the handle and make sure I was in neutral...ugghhh...

datastream

Seaman Apprentice

My 2 cents...same motor...If i shift into reverse and back to neutral then kill the motor, the neutral switch is not completely engaged. I have to move the throttle slightly forward then back to neutral. Switch is then engaged. Slight play in my linkage.

The firing up and dying I have also(on occassion)...I'm suspecting an air leak in the fuel system somehwere that is diminishing the vacuum that keeps the fuel in place and under pressure. I have to squeeze the bulb till its hard and I'm back in business. Or, I simply start the motor at high-idle, run it for a few seconds then throttle back and shift into gear. Either way...

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 2 cents...same motor...If i shift into reverse and back to neutral then kill the motor, the neutral switch is not completely engaged. I have to move the throttle slightly forward then back to neutral. Switch is then engaged. Slight play in my linkage.

The firing up and dying I have also(on occassion)...I'm suspecting an air leak in the fuel system somehwere that is diminishing the vacuum that keeps the fuel in place and under pressure. I have to squeeze the bulb till its hard and I'm back in business. Or, I simply start the motor at high-idle, run it for a few seconds then throttle back and shift into gear. Either way...

This is GREAT info..i have a feeling that you are right on here. I noticed this on the Sat when i was out. There was some gas seeping out from the hose on the bulb. I think that its time for a new hose anyways, but this could be an explanation as to the engine sputtering out while idling. I know that my idle screw needs some adjustment also. Thanks for the info!

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As an owner of an 89 85 HP force, I second the nuetral safety switch as your culprit of not turning over. I had the same problem earlier this year and finally adjusted the nuetral safety switch, never fails to turn over now. It's easy to spot where this switch is, Jiggz gave you excellent advice on locating it!

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

+1 on the nuetral safety switch, but has anyone considered the starter solenoid.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That was what i originally thought, I always thought that you could hear it trying, but not catching. It was making no noise, and i even put my hand down there when the admiral turned the key and felt nothing. I assumed it was ok.