14.22 volts running at battery
new plugs, new wires
3/8+ bright blue spark using tester
rebuilt carbs every passage cleaned all plugs removed and passages checked
Link and sync completed according to owners manual
New water pump and added pee hole from #1 cylinder
Starts instantly

My 2 questions are

1. Why does the motor rev when an induction timing light is use to check the timing? It will gain 2-300 rpms from idle when the timing light trigger is activated.

2. Why will the motor not gain full RPM it will only go to about 3000-3200 and then act like you turned of the switch. pull the throttle back and it will remain at 3-3200 for as long as you want to run. Pumping the primer bulb does not change things so I do not think it is fuel related, however I have not rebuilt the fuel pump.

Any help appreciated

farmuse

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1970 ES Johnson 115 timing Questiions

bump help please I am lost

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

i would change the firing order & see what happens then , the linkages could be sticking some where or the distributor where the points are screwed onto could be sticking to some where thats for the high rpm , i dnt know , this is a tricky one those old distributor ignitions , good luck

farmuse

Seaman Apprentice

Firing order is set by book how would that help? Which linkages? I will try anything at this point. Thanks

sunwest

Cadet

120 compression all 4 cy
14.22 volts running at battery
new plugs, new wires
3/8+ bright blue spark using tester
rebuilt carbs every passage cleaned all plugs removed and passages checked
Link and sync completed according to owners manual
New water pump and added pee hole from #1 cylinder
Starts instantly

My 2 questions are

1. Why does the motor rev when an induction timing light is use to check the timing? It will gain 2-300 rpms from idle when the timing light trigger is activated.

2. Why will the motor not gain full RPM it will only go to about 3000-3200 and then act like you turned of the switch. pull the throttle back and it will remain at 3-3200 for as long as you want to run. Pumping the primer bulb does not change things so I do not think it is fuel related, however I have not rebuilt the fuel pump.

Any help appreciated

Not sure if this is correct but I would guess when you pull the trigger on the timming light it completes the circut (If you will) when you let off it not completed... has somewhat of a lost current.

farmuse

Seaman Apprentice

what circuit would be completed? I am not sure I understand.

sunwest

Cadet

what circuit would be completed? I am not sure I understand.

when you push the trigger it returning the fire from one side of the prong to the next to create a light in the timming light. when you let off it just going up oine side of the wire with no return if this make sence a light takes 3 wires a ground a hot and a nuteral or 2 if not any ground but it has to have a current going and a current returning.

farmuse

Seaman Apprentice

The light is working but the engine gains rpm when it flashes. That is what I cannot figure out

sunwest

Cadet

The light is working but the engine gains rpm when it flashes. That is what I cannot figure out

right its cause when you squeeze the trigger it make the current complete, when your not squeezing it it wont. it like when you squeeze it you get full current and when your not your getting half current. there a dead spot when not squeezed.. chack all your ground on your wirring

farmuse

Seaman Apprentice

OK I got you I will check all grounds Thanks

farmuse

Seaman Apprentice

OK checked and cleaned all grounds and still does the same thing. any other suggestions?