Evinrude 9.5 won't run with cowl

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
I have a '65 Evinrude 9.5hp that runs great without the cowl and won't run with the cowl. There is a fairly new, rubber, "exhaust boot" inside the exhaust housing already. I have drilled three small (3/8) holes in the cowling underneath the finger grip at the back of the cowl but it didn't seem to help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Evinrude 9.5 won't run with cowl

It could be that your spark plug wire is shorting on the cowl latch, but more likely it's an exhaust leak. I believe there could be 2 or possibly even 3 parts that could produce a leak.
good luck,
JBJ

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks JB, I've had this motor apart before and would rather not do it again but, to fix an exhaust leak, I'll have to.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Drill some bigger holes in the front of the cowling and also the back to get some air through it. I think the seal that caused this prob is NLA. Been there.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Ok, you haven't said, so I gotta ask---Are you running it on a boat or in a barrel? They wouldn't run in a barrel when brand new. If that is what you are doing, get it out of there and on a boat on the lake before deciding if anything is wrong with it.

If the trouble persists, there are several exhaust leak possibilities. The boot flap between the housings is only one of them.

Drilling holes in the cowling is futile.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The holes in the cowl trick worked for me yrs ago and the mtrs were on the lake and not in a barrel.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

So I just learned that this customer had trailered his boat and motor 18 hours to Nova Scotia and the motor ran poorly after that. A shop up there told him the motor was "choking out". When I get the motor back I will look at the carb (float) and ignition wires before I take the whole thing apart. They are difficult motors to work on, that's why I'm asking before wrenching. Thanks for the input.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Follow up: lower crank seal was bad, killing the bottom cylinder. Replaced base gasket, exhaust cover gaskets, and head gasket (since I had it all apart). All good now. These are time consuming motors to work on.