2004 SX sterndrive new alum prop - slight rub on gearcase housing

MNBrent

Seaman Apprentice
I just installed a new 3 blade aluminum standard rotation VP 3817468 propeller and in the garage am getting a slight rub on the front of the hub against the inside of my SX lower gearcase housing. The rub is just enough that it may for sure remove some paint and may remove some aluminum from the prop and gearcase housing. I can spin it with a little force while in neutral, but it for sure is rubbing.

It is a different part number than my original prop, but is the correct VP replacement part for this application, according to VP docs and iboats VP store.

Is this common for new props to do this?
Do the new props require a thin spacer in front of the prop?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2004 SX sterndrive new alum prop - slight rub on gearcase housing

Should not rub.

There is a thrust washer that goes on the prop shaft first. Then the prop.

Check your old prop, it may be attached/corroded/greased to the back of the old prop.
thrust washer.jpg

MNBrent

Seaman Apprentice

Ive got that thrust washer still installed, and it's in great shape. With it installed, the rub is there with the new prop! The new prop part number seems to have the prop body going into the gearcase further than the old prop did. Old prop was also VP, but I dont have the part number handy.

All drawings I have seen show no additional spacer required. The rub seems very minimal, but yet I cant image how there should be in any case. It like 0.001 inch rub. New part number leaves something to be desired.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Is it rubbing all the way around, does the old prop or the LU show any signs of past rubbing? how does the castlenut line up w the hole in the shaft? you may need a slightly thicker thrust washer if new prop. appears to set deeper into the LU than the old prop. But I'm no expert.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

My guess is that you got a bad prop.
Most likely the hub wasn’t pressed in right.
Might be a good idea to exchange it.