What prop do I need 35 hp

Spindle

Cadet
I have a 16 foot, 1986 Fisher aluminum Bass Boat. It has a 1987 Mercury 35 hp two cylinder motor with a 15 pitch prop. The carb and fuel pump have recently been rebuilt, new fuel lines, new plugs and the timing set. Compression on both cylinders is 130 & 132 psi. The boat is really slow out of the hole. With the motor trimmed out and two adults top speed is 18 mph [gps]. The boat is rated for a 40 hp maximum. If this is the best I can get from the 35 I am thinking of going with a 50 hp. Would a different pitch prop get me up on plane better and would it be worth the investment? If so, what prop do you recommend?

Prybar

Recruit
Re: What prop do I need 35 hp

I too have a 16 ft alum with the 35 hp merc. I'm running a 10 3/8-13p prop. When my tach worked, my wot was about 5500rpm. Good all around hole shot and plane out with two adults. Imho, your rpms tell you a lot more than your mph.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A 15" pitch is too much without a tach there is no way to be sure about what prop to go to or how well the prop change is working.
Don't worry about the diameter if you look up a props for your motor the diameter will be right.
You may notice as the pitch goes down the diameter goes up.

Spindle

Cadet

I took your advice and bought a 13 pitch prop. Iwill post the results after I try it out. Thanks