Let's say I want to paint my cowling....

emoney

Commander
Just the very top of the lid has faded thanks to a previous owner that didn't use a cover knowing that this Florida sun can be brutal to painted objects. It's now a nice shade of charcoal gray, with a few lighter colored areas, whereas the balance of the motor is black. If I want to just paint the top, can I use an acrylic lacquer or should I got with some of that "engine paint"? Does the top of the lid get really hot I guess is what I'm asking?

I figured I'll scuff sand it first with 320grit, shoot the black and maybe even come back with a coat or two of clear. Unless, someone sees a huge problem with my plan. Acrylic lacquer is the same as automotive paint, the way I understand it. Yes?.....No?

I thought about painting the entire cowling but I don't want to have to try and find decals and I really don't want to be one of those folks that looks like he's removed the "Force" name. I'm proud of that name. I guess I could try and find a printer to make me some decals, but what would that run I wonder?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Let's say I want to paint my cowling....

Won't get near as hot from the engine as it does from the sun. Go for it.

aladin_sane

Seaman Apprentice

I shot my entire cowl a couple of years ago. I used tape to mask off the decals. It worked great for me.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't use lacquer, its not the same as auto paint. Lacquer will crack over time under that hot Florida sun. Go to your local auto paint store and buy the good stuff. One to two coats of base, and 2-3 coats of clear. Buy the smallest amount you can ( I think pint is the smallest) to save you money. As for the decals, take it to a sign shop and they should be able to replicate it easily for cheap. The last set of decals I had made were $30 for both sides.

datastream

Seaman Apprentice

SweeperForce...I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the huge motor you have hanging off the back of that tiny little boat may not be an exact manufacturer suggested power rating? : )

If not...how's it perform with the extra power?

Btrent1999@gmail.com

Seaman Apprentice

Go to auto paint shop get some 800-1000 grit wet dry emery sand paper some painters tape news paper tack cloth (good quality enamel spray paint one can should do it fog coats is the key to good finish you can buy a trigger for spray cans at Wally world for 3 bucks u don,t need clear coat mask -wet sand- tac- spray two fog coats two finish coats let it dry between finish coats u may won't to re sand re tack between finish coats if it gets rough to the touch fog coats is like real light coats not trying to cover but to get a build up of the paint good luck

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

WTF,the power rating per EbbTide is 150. And the plate on my tiny little boat also states 150hp ***.

emoney

Commander

Lots of folks don't know that some hulls, like yours & bass boats, are rated much higher than your common pleasure boat, Sweeper. I'm sure h edidn't mean no harm. I had a 16' bass boat with a 150hp on it and I think it was rated higher. My brother ran a 200hp Yamaha on a 19' Ranger for years. That thing would fly! 70mph-ish. Don't know why you want to go that fast, but it did it, lol.

emoney

Commander

For the record, in case a stranger comes along from the search feature: Acrylic lacquer IS automotive paint. It can be found at most HD's, Lowe's or even some Wal Marts. One thing I know is my paint finishes, lol. That's about all I know, but that's not the point. Acrylic lacquer has plastic in it to prevent both cracking and fading.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Someone within the last few weeks posted a good pic of the paint job he did on his Force.
I couldn't find it,as usual.
Look for it and ask him.
Turns out he does that kind of stuff for a living.

Tracy Swan

Recruit

I painted my cowling last week, went out on Saturday and it was a record for the heat, 94 degrees, over 35 c out all day and i used tremclad paint white and black, it looks just as good as the day i painted it.

My cowling is fiberglass

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Most good modern automotive paints are not acrylic lacquer. It is a cheaper alternative, and most cheap autobody shops use it. I have used it, but its crap in the long run. I guess I should have stated my bias toward good product.

emoney

Commander

I have completed my "band aid paint project". At the risk of upsetting Tater, I did in fact use AL, lol. I shot a little clear over it and it should be safe from the brutal sun for the balance of the year. I'll paint the whole thing this winter.

However, this update is all about my "genius" and "MacGyver-like" skills. Let me explain.....

One of the reasons I need to repaint is this;
paint2.jpg

Starboard side has lost it's "red". The Port side is fine;
paint1.jpg

Hmmm....what's a guy to do. (Insert light bulb here) I KNOW!!
paint4.jpg

It's the wife's so let's keep it betwixt us, huh?
paint3.jpg

Turned out pretty dang good if I do say so myself. It's a perfect match, actually.
And don't worry, it's a "permanent marker", so I should be good to go.