Starting Problem - OMC 2.3 I/O in 1987 Bayliner Cierra

cbcollins1

Cadet
Ok, different problem and different boat. I have a OMC 2.3 I/O in my 1987 17' Bayliner Cierra that I just acquired. The boat had been sitting in the seller's driveway for four years (although it was tuned up right before being parked). We hooked a new battery up to it and the tilt/trim work great; however, when we try to start the engine, we just hear a click. 12v going in and coming out of the starter. Is there a way to check the starter components before jumping in and buying a new starter? If I hear a click, does that mean the solenoid is working? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starting Problem - OMC 2.3 I/O in 1987 Bayliner Cierra

a click or a crunch? click could be the slave solenoid, starter solenoid, bad pos. and neg. canle ends/connections.could be it wasnt winterized and the block cracked and froze up.pull the plugs and check for rust.

cbcollins1

Cadet

It is a definite click. I was thinking it was electrical instead of mechancial because of the click. I have a lot of experience with cars, just not with I/O's. Any quick way to test your theories (starter solenoid, etc.) that you know of? Thanks for the input. I'll pull the plugs and check for rust.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

See if you can turn the engine by hand first. If you can't, you may need to pull the plugs and soak the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil to unseize the engine.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

My boat just did that same thing this weekend...it actually turned over a few times...then started "crank crank..stop" (by stop I mean...starter stopped suddenly). Did this a couple times..then all I got was the click/electric buzz.<br /><br />Re-checked all connects and they seemed tight. Same thing. Removed plugs...still same thing. Removed starter...re-connected all wires and it operated normally while not installed. Turned engine by harmonic balancer...so engine not seized (whew). Re-installed starter (plugs still out) and coil wire diconnected..and engine cranked.?!?! <br /><br />The only thing that I can think off was that there was a little corrosion on the connections that I cleaned off and added more dielectric grease to.<br /><br />The common causes for your problem are:<br />1. bad starter/selenoid<br />2. not enough electricity (low battery/too much resistance in wires/connections)<br />3. seized engine (usually get a clunk from gear hitting non-moving flywheel)<br />4. bendix gear stuck in engaged position???? <br /><br />You can pull the starter off and try like I did or just bring it down to a local automotive store..they usually can test them there...just make sure if it is bad...DON'T BUY AN AUTOMOTIVE ONE!!! Big booms not good for your health.<br /><br />-JMW

cbcollins1

Cadet

Thanks. That probably wouldn't hurt regardless considering the amount of time the boat sat unattended.

cbcollins1

Cadet

Thanks, Don S. This is perfect. I'll do the tests and post the results. Thanks again.