2009 Mercury 9.9

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just bought a RIB with the 2009 Merc 9.9. My question is, how much water does it need to be in to start it in my driveway? He had it in a garbage can with 3 ' of water, but that seems like over kill. Reason I'm asking, after having it in saltwater, it needs to be flushed and he said you can't just hook up muffs to it, it has to be submerged because of where the water pick up is located. I have a metal wash tub/basin, but it's only about 1' deep, 2 1/2' diameter, would it work?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2009 Mercury 9.9

The top of the water pickup on my 9.9 is 11" above the bottom of the skeg. I wouldn't try to run it in 12" of water, it will be sucking air. I also have a plugged flushing hole on the starboard side that could be used for hose attachment with proper fittings. Got one of those?

edit: I use muffs all the time. Why did he say you can't do that?

Last edited:

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The top of the water pickup on my 9.9 is 11" above the bottom of the skeg. I wouldn't try to run it in 12" of water, it will be sucking air. I also have a plugged flushing hole on the starboard side that could be used for hose attachment with proper fittings. Got one of those?

edit: I use muffs all the time. Why did he say you can't do that?

I don't know why he said I couldn't use muffs. Is yours a 2009, or identical model? I sure hate to buy a garbage can just for this.
Thanks.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Mine is newer 2011 actually and a 4 stroke. Still, I don't know why you couldn't use muffs as long as they cover the water pickup and you turn on the water, lol.

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm going out to familiarize myself with it now. I got it late Friday evening and left for the OBX early Saturday, so I have hardly even looked at it. We loaded it in a hurry and off I went back home. I'm not even sure where the water pick up is, I didn't see it in the owners manual I read while gone this weekend.
More to come.......
Thanks !!!

edit: Once glance at the bottom and the water pick up is obvious. I don't know why he said I can't use muffs, I am right now !!!

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hooked up the muffs, it started first pull and it pee'd out all 3 holes !!! Sweet !

Star

Chief Petty Officer

I also run in Salt water some of the time. The reason he told you not to use muffs to flush it out is that all external parts will still have nasty salt residue on them. By dunking it in a barell of fresh water you wash it away. I go one step further I always use a little soap in the barrel. I hope to keep my motor for a long time