Glastron V-162 futura

tlampman

Recruit

Just picked up a V-162 futura, from looking through the manufacturer manuals it looks like a 74' but I'm not 100% sure (previous owner said it was an 80').

Paid $400 for the boat, trailer and motor. Motor is an early 70's Johnson 60 and seems to run well, trailer is in good condition as well.

The floor wasn't soft, but I pulled up the crappy carpet to see the bad patch job someone had done when they replaced the floor at some point previously. I want to replace it and do it properly so I know its solid.

The transom is somewhat of a mess, it appears to have rotted some time ago and a repair attempt was made with aluminum plates on either side. The entire thing needs to go and needs to be redone from scratch.

The hull needs a few patches, including repairing some previously poorly done patches, both on the bottom and the sides. Gel coat has some cracking but looks to be fixable. The boat has quite a few drilled holes where someone had various fishing equipment attached, however they are all small and were drilled out.

A few questions:

What is the best way to fill all of the holes? As well, the front tow hook has pulled partially through the hull, looks like the nuts loosened off partially as well, whats the best way to repair the hole made by the hook?

Any resources/recommendations for the glass and resin, I'm located in southern ontario near the GTA, i've read through the fibreglass threads but didn't see much in the way of recommendations for which brands or where to get supplies here in Canada.

I would like to put an under-floor gas tank in, thoughts on that?
Also interested in installing a ski bar/pole and would love thoughts on that as well.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome, I really like the lines of the boat and would like to fix it up correctly so it lasts for a few years at least.

Thanks,

Tim

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Glastron V-162 futura

Welcome to iboats.

Yes, it appears as if you purchased a boat with multiple band-aid repairs and issues :(

Some of our Canadian member's will suggest places to get supplies.

Are you prepared for a major project? The cap will need to be pulled, the wet foam removed and replaced and the same for the rotted transom. You are looking at a repair that will go into the thousands of dollars.

Have you had the boat on the water? What condition is the motor in? You need to have a sincere attachment before you restore the boat. This is a long term project.

tlampman

Recruit

I figured I would have to remove the cap so not too concerned about that. Any idea on cost estimates? Im having trouble even finding the supplies anywhere online in Canada ( besides home depot or Lowe's which I've read is not recommended).

The boat feels great on the water and the engine runs well. It has good compression on all cylinders and no leaks.

Personally I would like to throw a bigger motor on anyways down the road.

I'm good with a big project as long as it's worth putting the time into this boat. Ill take some more pics of the damage on the hull today.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

welcome to IBoats!!!!
thats a pretty cool looking boat. can't offer up any estimates on cost, i dont know what the supplies are going for in canada, alos with the size of your boat, i wouldn't know the amounts of supplies either. the only thing i have to compare it to is my 22' cabin cruiser

tlampman

Recruit

Well, I ripped the floor out of the boat last night and the stringers are all rotten as was assumed. There was about 3 inches of water in the bottom, soaked into the foam as well. The foam is now all out and the cross members basically just fell apart when the foam came out. I'm now debating if its worth it to even repair this given the hull issues as well.

There is another one of these boats available for free close by, I might try and grab it and see if the hull is in any better shape and use this one for parts as it has most of the original hardware intact.