Is my engine locked up

tolbert4

Cadet
I have a 1995 mercruiser 3.0l 4 cyl. It has been setting up for 5 years and dont know if it was winterized, but the back freeze plug was out and starter is locked up but the crank pully will turn a 1/4 of the way and then stops i took the plugs out but still the same i need to know if the engine is locked up are what i can do to try to free it up thanks

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is my engine locked up

Welcome to iboats!

It is very likely that the piston rings are rusted to the cylinder walls as a minimum. That however is probably not your real problem. How much money do you want to spend to get the engine running again?

I ask this very important question, because folks are gonna chime in here very soon with suggestions that you spray lubricating penetrants into each cylinder and turn the crank with a breaker bar. That's fine if you know for a fact that you don't have a cracked block or head. But you're wasting your time. Pull the engine and do it right.

At the VERY minimum, you will need to hone the cylinders, and inspect/clean the piston lands and rings of accumulated rust. You will probably also have rust on the intake/exhaust valve seats that will need ground/polished out. Do you see where I'm going with this?

You said 5 years storage, unsure of winterization and (core plug) pushed out. Sounds like a recipe for rebuild.

Good luck!

tolbert4

Cadet
Is my engine locked up?

Is my engine locked up?

I have a 1995 mercrusier 3.0 litre engine and it has been sitting up for about 5 years, I don't know if it was winterized, the back freeze plug was popped out and the starter was locked up. I can turn the crank pulley a quarter of a turn, I took the plugs out and it still only turns a quarter of a turn. I was wondering if anyone knows if it could be locked up or how I can free it to make the crank pulley turn all the way around?

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is my engine locked up?

Re: Is my engine locked up?

Without being there I can't tell you for sure and no one else can either. The best advice I can give you is to tear it down and get the block and heads checked for cracks. You definitely have something bad going on and trying to force it is not going to fix it and will probably make it worse.

tolbert4

Cadet

well i bought the boat for $500 and its in good shape except the seats and engine ill pay what ever it takes to get it running i have heard to spray things into the cylinders but i dont know if the block is crack this is first boat ive owned dont know a whole lot about them so i need to just pull it and rebuild

Silly Seville

By "pay whatever it takes," do you mean you will have someone else do the necessary work, or do you have the skills and tools to perform engine repair yourself?

BTW, put your location and boat info into your profile or signature line. You will get faster and more accurate responses when people know what they are dealing with. You may also get immediate help from folks who are nearby you. This is a great community, with very knowledgeable members.

Someone with a borescope can tell you more about your internal engine condition in the time it takes you to disconnect the battery.

tolbert4

Cadet

well i will let a shop do it i dont have the time what will something like that cost around about

Silly Seville

Cost to repair depends solely on extent of damage and shop labor hours charged. I would simply be speculating on the actual condition of your engine and the necessary repairs. I can give you a wide range of prices which will shock and dismay you frankly. A true factory authorized Mercruiser dealer/technician gets $95-$120 per hour shop labor. And the dealer/shop charges full retail (marine) prices on the parts that you could get elsewhere for what the rest of us DIY guys pay. Figure $1,000 to $4,000 to have a "pro" do the work. The $1,000 pays for the removal, diagnosis of damage and re-installation only. The $4,000 should get you a brand new engine installed with Mercruiser warranty.

A typical DIY rebuild will set you back $1,200-$1,800 in over the counter parts and machine shop labor.

Silly Seville

Oh yeah, and we LOVE pictures around here! Don't be afraid to post pic's so we can enjoy your boat too. And lest I forget to mention it, Welcome to the "Hole In The Water Club!"

Also less affectionately known as the B.O.A.T. club! That is (Bust Out Another Thousand!)

Boating is a lifestyle you will quickly learn to love or hate! :D