Mercury Outboard Stator And Bog Question

jingy

Cadet
I have a 1984 Black Max 150hp Merc O/B that bogs when trying to go to full throttle. I've done all the obvious to try and take care of it. Compression fine on all six and within specs, cranking spark great on all six, Timing checked and did link and sync to Merc manual. Fuel pump rebuild as well as new fuel line,pump ball, and water seperator. The fact is that I found problems with almost all!! Saturating floats, sticking needle, diaphram leak, and even found reeds on one cylinder bad which I replaced all cylinders with Carsons. How did it run great before? Starts great and idles great but when on throttle up it wont get on plane. I guess my real question is I got more into the electrical and checked Rectifier, Trigger and Stator resistances. The stator readings were ok except for the readings for the Red/Wht to Blu/Wht according to the Merc Manual for 150hp with my ser# range were a couple of hundred ohms higher! Others were in spec. Took it out and same problem. Came back in and did all elec. tests an this time the R/Wht to Blu/Wht stator wires would read between 7 to 12 megaohms!!! All others were the same. This represents bad stator? Correct? Don't see any obvious drips under flywheel. This would bog it down? Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury Outboard Stator And Bog Question

Does it bog upon acceleration? If so, the carbs idle mixture may not be set properly. Richen 'em up a bit and see it that helps.

jingy

Cadet

Thanks for reply. These are fixed jet carbs WH-27. The only thing you can do is adjust idle speed rpm's idle stop screw. It will speed up to where I almost get to plane,then bog down.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Pump the fuel primer and see if it helps. if so, maybe a fuel pump issue? If not, maybe the high speed stator winding is bad?

jingy

Cadet

No help with the primer or enricher. Wierd readings with ohms on stator to rectifier leads and stator to switchbox leads. I'm leaning to stator now. Thanks Chris!