1966 evinrude 33hp ignition question.

bassindaUP

Recruit
I put new coils, points and condensors in the motor and when I tried to start it I got nothing motor will not crank over (starter not engaging). I got 12v from battery to starter solenoid. 12v from key switch to small terminal at starter solenoid. I don't know if I'm suppose to have voltage or ground from the starter starter solenoid other small terminal to the cut-out switch? 0v coming out of solenoid to starter. I believe the starter solenoid is junk, am I right to think this? I also checked the 2 power wires for the coils (M terminals at key switch) and got zero volts with key in the on position, does this mean my key switch is also junk. All other terminal on the key switch read right as far as voltages. Any info would greatly help.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1966 evinrude 33hp ignition question.

The other small terminal of the solenoid coil should be ground, normally through a neutral safety switch.
The M terminals on the ignition should never have voltage applied to them. They are either connected together (kill) or floating (run)

bassindaUP

Recruit

I'll see if I get ground to the starter solenoid terminal, that wire runs to the base of the cut-out switch then another wire goes up to the safety switch. The black wires that run from the M terminals at the key switch back to the points, condensor and coils carry no voltage? How does the coils make power then, Isn't one wire on the coil power and the other one ground. sorry about the dumb questions I guess I don't under stand this set up ( I'm new to boat motor work). guess I'm outta my league.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The motor does not need a battery at all in order to work. The coil creates the ignition voltage using the magnet on the inside of the flywheel. The black wires simply run up to the points. Connect them together (or ground them) to kill the motor. If 12V gets on those wires it will fry the ignition.

The only thing the battery is for on that motor is to operate the starter.

bassindaUP

Recruit

well it's a good thing I got no power then. The only thing left then is to get power to the starter, I'll see if I get ground to the starter solenoid from the safety switch then. thanks

bassindaUP

Recruit

well I found that the starter safety switch wasn't providing ground but when I move the throttle around it grounds and the starter engages. The motor runs great just needs a carb adjustment. Thanks again.