2001 Evinrude 30hp 4 stroke (aka Suzuki 30) - Carb Leaking Gas and Choke Arm Question

kelwilburn

Recruit
Hey everyone, I've been browsing through this forum for a while now and found many intelligent posts addressing most questions I've had about my Evinrude. I am a novice in mechanical experience, and this project has been the farthest I've ever taken apart an engine.

I have a 2001 Evinrude E30TEL4SIC - tiller steering, electric start, manual trim - that had been running very poorly up until last weekend when I took apart the carbs and cleaned them out with gumout (a local suzuki dealer told me my issue was with dirty carbs. The motor ran like a scalded dog with the only problem being that gas is leaking out of the bottommost carburetor so much so that there is a noticeable slick behind the motor at idle and the engine revs only about 50% with the cowling on (I assume this is due to gas fumes restricting oxygen in the intake and not a sign of a larger problem). When out of the water and I squeeze the fuel line bulb, fuel runs out of the air intake portion of the carb

Last weekend when taking off the float, I bent the pin holding it in place as well as the bracket on the float which the pin slides through. I've tried to straighten them out to look like the float off a working carb and thought that would solve my problem (I assume the float is responsible for holding the fuel inlet needle in place and restricting gas into the carb). This didn't work and gas still leaks when the engine is on or the primer bulb is squeezed.

I was hoping someone could give me advice as to what my next move should be. Will the problem be fixed by ordering a new float and pins for the carb from boatsDOTnet? Should I also go ahead and order new rubber gaskets and o-rings to make sure? Is it possible I have messed up my fuel inlet needle permanently and need a new one of those? Or is this something I should bite the bullet and bring the motor to a mechanic to work on? I'm 24yo and expensive repairs would pretty much crush my summer fishing budget at this point in my life.

Another quick question has to do with the choke arm connection to the bottom carburetor. Somehow after reassembling the carbs last weekend and reattaching the choke, the choke knob only is able to pull out the choke and not push it back in. It looks like the arm doesnt directly connect to the lever that opens and closes the chokes of the upper two carbs. It only pushes this lever out but doesnt pull it back in. Is this choke lever (sorry I cant describe this better) supposed to spring back closed? That's the only way I can see this working, but right now it has no spring tension. Can somebody either give me a better choke schematic than the free one on boatsDOTnet, a picture, or description of how their choke arm is connected to and operates the carburetors?

Thanks to anyone who can take the time to help me out, it is greatly appreciated.

Kel