Fire suppression for Sea Ray 180BR

jameskcowley

Recruit
Hi guys

My recent acquisition of the Sea Ray 180BR led me to look at the auto fire extinguisher installed in the engine compartment (Sea Fire Halon 1301).

Of course, Halon is banned so I have browsed many sites and understand this cannot be replaced like for like. However, my local ski club wont allow the boat out unless I can prove its been tested - understood so no issue!

Sea Fire are a US company with just a couple of UK dealers. On contact, they have asked if I can provide them with the engine compartment size so they may quote for a replacement.

Three questions if I may:

1. What is the size in cubic feet/metres of my engine compartment (Sea Ray 180BR)?
2. Do I need to replace this current with a halon substitute or can anyone advise about dry chemical? Lots of different advice everywhere but the price difference is wow..... it aint cheap!
3. Do I need to replace with another Sea Fire? - the extinguisher has an auto "valve" and also a warning light on a panel adjacent to the ignition

I am sure you must think "look in the site" but there's nothing that answers all 3 questions so apologies if you are shaking your heads...... and thanks for taking time to help

Cheers

James

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Fire suppression for Sea Ray 180BR

Many SeaRays have the Fireboy systems

http://www.fireboy-xintex.com/MA2-fire-extinguisher.htm

as for your particular boat, your going to have to measure the engine compartment. the size of the compartment changes depending if you have back-to-back seating or sport seating.

the new fire suppression units are HFC-227 vs Halon

you would have to contact the manufacturer about compatibility with your current annunciation panel.